Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace of the function

1. May 19, 2004 #1
    hi how do u find the laplace of the function below:

x'(t) = kx(t) -hH(44-t)

k is the rate which is >0, x(t) is the actual population, h is the harvesting rate

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2004 #2
    Do you mean

[tex]x'(t)=kx(t)-hH(44-t)[/tex]

where k and h are constants? If so, what is H(t)? Is it the Heaviside unit step function?

Edited for LaTeX errors.

4. May 19, 2004 #3
    hi,

yes H is the heaviside unit step.

5. May 19, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I suggest you use Laplace transform

6. May 19, 2004 #5
    thats the method i am using, but im not sure how to apply it to this equation.

7. May 19, 2004 #6
    Rewriting:

x' - kx + hH(44 - t) = 0

You probably already know how to find the Laplace transform of x' - kx . I'm betting that the problem is with the step function. Do you know how to transform a step function when it is written in the standard form of H(t - a) ? I think it's usually covered in an introductory chapter to Laplace transforms, along with the Dirac delta function.

If hH(44 - t) is giving you the trouble, try rewriting it like this: hH(44 - t) = h - hH(t - 44). You should see that they both have the same shape: h when t < 44 ; 0 when t > 44 . With this modification, you have the Heaviside function in the right form to perform a Laplace transform on it.

If you haven't got any idea what to do with any step function at all, let me know and I will try to help a little more. Also, you should include the initial condition x(0) = ? for a Laplace transform problem.

8. May 19, 2004 #7
    ok, i know how to find the laplace of h(t-a) the answer is:

e^-as/s

ok, i understand how u got the values but what im really confused on is to apply the laplace on everything, even the first bit.

i know what the answer should be, its:

x(t) = (x0 - h/k)*e^kt + h/k * H(44-t) + h/k * (e^k(t-44))H(t-44)

but i havent got a clue how to get to the answer.

I can either prove it going forward to the laplace or going from the laplace to the actual x'(t).

Please help

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  9. May 19, 2004 #8
    initila condition is not provided, but you can assume it to be 16.

10. May 19, 2004 #9
    May I ask if this question is from a certain course, or are you doing this on your own?

The differential equation again:

[tex]x' - kx + h - hH(t-44) = 0[/tex]

You can perform a Laplace transform on each of the terms of the equation separately and then add them together:

[tex]\mathcal{L}\{x' - kx + h - hH(t-44)\} = \mathcal{L}\{x'\} - \mathcal{L}\{kx\}
    + \mathcal{L}\{h\} - \mathcal{L}\{hH(t-44)\}[/tex]
    [tex]\mathcal{L}\{x'\} = sX - x(0)[/tex]
    [tex]\mathcal{L}\{kx\} = kX[/tex]
    [tex]\mathcal{L}\{h\} = h/s[/tex]
    [tex]\mathcal{L}\{hH(t-44)\} = he^{-44s}/s[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\mathcal{L}\{\mathrm{d.e.}\} = sX - x_0 - kX + h/s -he^{-44s}/s = 0[/tex]

Does that help?

Edited, because LaTeX is hard and whatnot.

11. May 19, 2004 #10
    thanks alot

12. May 19, 2004 #11
    Sorry. Reload the thread, I fixed it.

13. May 19, 2004 #12
    its working now, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?