Explaining the Laplace Operator and Its Properties for Homework

In summary, the equations are determined by the direction and length of the vector x, and the function f depends only on the length of x. The equation for Delta r is (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}) - x^2 (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}}) + (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}) - y^2 (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}}) + (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}) - z^2 (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}}).
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

Let x = (x,y,z) .
Recall that the vector x is determined by its direction and length
r = |x| = [itex] \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} [/itex]

and assume we are given a function f which depends only on the length of x

f = f(r)

Show that

[tex] \Delta f = f'' + \frac{2}{r} f'[/tex]

where [tex] f' = \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] u = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 [/tex]
[tex] r = \sqrt{u} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial \sqrt{u}}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{r}})(2x) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{r}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 r}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial (x)}{\partial x } \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} + x \frac{\partial \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u }{\partial x} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} - x^2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}} [/tex]

Since f and u are symmetric in x,y,z

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 r}{\partial y^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} - y^2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 r}{\partial z^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} - z^2 \frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}} [/tex]

[tex] x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = u [/tex]

[tex] \Delta r = (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}) - x^2 (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}}) + (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}) - y^2 (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}}) + (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}) - z^2 (\frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}}) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{3}{\sqrt{u}} - (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) \frac{1}{\sqrt{u^3}} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{2}{\sqrt{u}} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{2}{r} [/tex]

I see that this is a part of the solution but I have no idea what to do to get the rest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm lost and it has to be in tomorrow morning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compute

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}\right)f(r(x,y,z))[/tex]

using the chain rule.

I'm not really sure how to apply the chain rule in this case. Is there any general formula that I can use?

Actually its cool, I got it.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the Laplace operator?

The Laplace operator, also known as the Laplacian, is a mathematical operator used to measure the rate of change of a scalar field. It is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is the Laplace operator represented mathematically?

The Laplace operator is represented by the symbol &nabla2 or ∇2. In Cartesian coordinates, it is written as the sum of the second partial derivatives with respect to each variable, ∂2/∂x2 + ∂2/∂y2 + ∂2/∂z2.

3. What is the significance of the Laplace operator in physics?

The Laplace operator is used in physics to describe physical quantities, such as temperature or electric potential, that vary continuously in space. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving diffusion, heat transfer, and electricity and magnetism.

4. How is the Laplace operator applied in solving differential equations?

The Laplace operator is often used in conjunction with the Laplace transform to solve differential equations. By taking the Laplace transform of both sides of a differential equation, the equation can be simplified into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved for the unknown function. The inverse Laplace transform is then applied to obtain the solution in the original form.

5. What are some practical applications of the Laplace operator?

The Laplace operator has many practical applications, including in image processing, signal analysis, and fluid mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics to smooth out surfaces and in machine learning for feature extraction. Additionally, the Laplace operator is used in solving boundary value problems in engineering and physics.