1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Operator

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Laplace operator Δ is defined by: Δ= c65dd028c1c9fb80a8288ca893e949da.png

Show in polar coordinates r and Θ, that the Laplace operator takes the following form:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/math/0/7/a/07a878276cffd0c680f3f827204aba24.png

2. Relevant equations

x=rcos(Θ), y=rsin(Θ), r ≥ 0, Θ ∈ [0,2∏]

3. The attempt at a solution

It seems simple; convert the x and y in terms of polar coordinates, and differentiate twice. However, when i attempt to differentiate twice, in respect to r and theta, my r disappears and the trig function simply reverts.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Can you show your work where you differentiate the first time?

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    Sorry for the delayed response, been studying for other finals.

Here is where i am stuck.

For the x partial derivative:

[itex]\partial[/itex] / [itex]\partial[/itex]x= -rsinθ+cosθ

For the y partial derivative:

[itex]\partial[/itex] / [itex]\partial[/itex]y= sinθ+rcosθ

I know this is incorrect because i was informed by my professor that there is a nested chain ruled inside a product rule in the second differentiation (or something similar). d/dr d/dx +d/dθ d/dx is the format for the x partial derivative, and just replacing x with y gives you the format for the y partial derivative.

Where am i going wrong?

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

What did you differentiate? That seems to be missing.
    And how did you get this result?

Yes, the chain rule for multivariable differentiation is:
    [tex]{\partial \over \partial x}f(u(x,y), v(x,y))={\partial f \over \partial u}{\partial u\over \partial x}+{\partial f \over \partial v}{\partial v \over \partial x}[/tex]

You should do something similar to f(x(r,θ), y(r,θ))...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook