1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace pressure and bubbles.

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The bending of the surface of any liquid creates excess pressure, known as the Laplace pressure. Consider a T-shaped pipe with two bubbles of different diameters blown at the two ends across from each other. How will the two bubbles behave? Give qualitiative reasons.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    After doing some googling, I found that the smaller the bubble, the larger the Laplace pressure. So I figure, if the two bubbles were connected through a regular pipe, the small bubble would shrink while the larger bubble would expand, because the pressure inside the smaller bubble is greater and would force the air towards the larger bubble. I'm not sure if this is right, or how the situation changes when the linear pipe is replaced by a T-shaped one.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted