Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector and its generating transformation

In summary, the author is looking for symmetries in a Hamiltonian system, and he found that the Runge-Lenz vector is a conserved quantity.
Sonty
I have this sort of research project about symmetries under the central potential and I'm stuck on this Runge-Lenz vector. As it is a conserved quantity I was expecting it to come out of Noether's theorem. I can't figure out how. So I go on the net to find out and get 2 answers: infinitesimal Lorentz trasnformation without rotation followed by a time translation and a more explicit article on a canonical transformation. Out of the latter I find that besides the usual space-time transformations come the so called kinematical symmetries, while out of symmetries in the phase space comes another kind of conserved quantities called dynamical. It shows rather clearly that the angle the LRL vector makes with the x-axis is the canonical conjugate of L and that's the pair of variables I should canonical transform to.
What other dynamical symmetries are there in the world that I heven't heared of and how should the conserved quantities look in general terms? Is there an analogue to Noether's theorem that would tell me exactly how the conserved quantity should look like? How did Laplace, Runge and Lenz get the expression for the vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
that's the first result in google's search and the second in teoma's. It doesn't help. It's like trees are green, the sky is blue, the water is wet, stuff like that. It doesn't say why or how.

Originally posted by Sonty
that's the first result in google's search and the second in teoma's. It doesn't help. It's like trees are green, the sky is blue, the water is wet, stuff like that. It doesn't say why or how.

Uh, have you actually read the paper cited by that message, the one in Phys Rev?

The abstract:

Noether and Lie symmetry analyses based on point transformations that depend on time and spatial coordinates will be reviewed for a general class of time-dependent Hamiltonian systems. The resulting symmetries are expressed in the form of generators whose time-dependent coefficients follow as solutions of sets of ordinary differential ("auxiliary") equations. The interrelation between the Noether and Lie sets of auxiliary equations will be elucidated. The auxiliary equations of the Noether approach will be shown to admit invariants for a much broader class of potentials, compared to earlier studies. As an example, we work out the Noether and Lie symmetries for the time-dependent Kepler system. The Runge-Lenz vector of the time-independent Kepler system will be shown to emerge as a Noether invariant if we adequately interpret the pertaining auxiliary equation. Furthermore, additional nonlocal invariants and symmetries of the Kepler system will be isolated by identifying further solutions of the auxiliary equations that depend on the explicitly known solution path of the equations of motion. Showing that the invariants remain unchanged under the action of different symmetry operators, we demonstrate that a unique correlation between a symmetry transformation and an invariant does not exist.

I had it but didn't fully read it. I had just skimmed through it searching for keywords. Didn't find them until I actually read a big part of it. In my reaction I confused it for another one. The thing is that seems to me to elaborate. I don't think that's what I'm supposed to get. I couldn't follow his calculations fully, maybe because I'm tired and I've been fighting this nasty flu for a couple of days. There's got to be an easier way to do it.

1. What is the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector and its generating transformation?

The Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is a conserved quantity in classical mechanics that describes the shape of an orbit in a central force field. It is generated by a transformation that maps the position and momentum vectors of a particle onto a new set of coordinates, which are related to the eccentricity and orientation of the orbit.

2. What is the significance of the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector in physics?

The Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is significant because it provides a deeper understanding of the dynamics of orbital motion and has been used to explain many phenomena in astrophysics, such as the precession of planetary orbits and the stability of the solar system. It also has applications in quantum mechanics, where it is related to symmetries and conserved quantities.

3. How is the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector related to Kepler's laws of planetary motion?

The Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector encapsulates the second law of Kepler's laws, which states that the orbit of a planet sweeps out equal areas in equal times. This is reflected in the conservation of angular momentum and the fact that the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector points towards the focus of the ellipse, which is the location of the central mass.

4. Can the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector be used for any central force field?

Yes, the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is applicable to any central force field, as long as the force is radial and depends only on the distance from the center. This includes gravitational and electrostatic forces, among others.

5. How is the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector used in practical applications?

The Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector is used in practical applications such as orbit determination and trajectory planning for space missions. It is also used in the study of celestial mechanics and in the development of numerical methods for solving orbital problems. In addition, it has applications in the field of quantum chaos and the study of chaotic systems.