Convert cos^2 (2t) into Laplace Table Form

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about converting cos^2(2t) into a form that can be used with the Laplace table. Tide suggests using the identity cos^2 2x = (1 + cos 4x)/2, which is a variant of the sum formula for cosine. TSN mentions not being able to find the identity in their books and not being able to come up with it themselves. Tide explains that it is a commonly used identity and provides a link for more trigonometric identities.
TSN79
Does anyone know how to convert

[tex]cos^2 (2t)[/tex]

into a form that I can use the Laplace-table on...?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about using some trig identities:

[tex]\cos^2 2x = \frac {1 + \cos 4x}{2}[/tex]

Hey thanks Tide! Just one thing, I wasn't really able to find this identity anywhere in my books, and I'm not really at a level where I can come up with such identities on my own if it goes beyond turning equations around. This identity is not one of the most used is it?

TSN,

It's just a variant of the sum formula which is very commonly used:

[tex]\cos a + b = \cos a \cos b - \sin a \sin b[/tex]

so that when a = b

[tex]\cos 2a = \cos^2 a - \sin^2 a[/tex]

and since

[tex]\sin^2 a + \cos^2 a = 1[/tex]

the identity becomes

[tex]\cos 2a = 2 \cos^2 a - 1[/tex]

from which

[tex]\cos^2 a = \frac {1 + \cos 2a}{2}[/tex]

Finally, just set a = 2x for your problem.

1. What is the Laplace Table Form of cos^2 (2t)?

The Laplace Table Form of cos^2 (2t) is s / (s^2 + 4), where s is the complex frequency variable.

2. How is cos^2 (2t) converted into Laplace Table Form?

To convert cos^2 (2t) into Laplace Table Form, you can use the trigonometric identity cos^2 (2t) = (1 + cos 4t) / 2. Then, you can use the Laplace transform properties to transform each term separately.

3. Can cos^2 (2t) be converted into Laplace Table Form using a calculator?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in Laplace transform function that can convert cos^2 (2t) into Laplace Table Form. However, it is important to understand the mathematical process behind the conversion in order to use the calculator correctly.

4. Are there any limitations to converting cos^2 (2t) into Laplace Table Form?

There are no specific limitations to converting cos^2 (2t) into Laplace Table Form, as long as the function is defined for all values of t. However, the Laplace transform may not exist for certain functions, in which case the conversion cannot be done.

5. What is the significance of converting cos^2 (2t) into Laplace Table Form in scientific research?

The Laplace transform is a powerful tool used in various fields of science and engineering to analyze and solve differential equations. Converting cos^2 (2t) into Laplace Table Form can help in solving problems related to oscillatory motion, electrical circuits, and signal processing, among others.