What is the significance of 'sufficiently large' values in Laplace Transform?

In summary, the laplace transform of a function f(t) is defined as L[f(t)](s) = 1/(s-1) for all values s ≠ 1. However, the integral only converges for sufficiently large values of s, meaning s ≥ a (or maybe s > a) for some finite number 'a'. This is because the term e[R(a-s)]/(a-s) tends to 0 as R→∞ if s > a. The original question raised in the conversation was about the meaning of "sufficiently large values of s" and why s = 2 was not considered a large value. The expert summary explains that while the laplace transform exists for all values of s
Miike012
In the attachment that I added I highlighted the portion I am questioning.

I will define L[f(t)](s) to be the laplace transform of the function f(t).

f(t) = e^t

L[f(t)](s) = 1/(s-1). The laplace transform is defined for all values s≠1.

L[f(t)](2) = 1.

Question: "What do they mean by sufficiently large vales of s" because I don't consider s = 2 a large value.

Attachments

• Lap.jpg
    Lap.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
In the attachment that I added I highlighted the portion I am questioning.

I will define L[f(t)](s) to be the laplace transform of the function f(t).

f(t) = e^t

L[f(t)](s) = 1/(s-1). The laplace transform is defined for all values s≠1.

L[f(t)](0) = -1.

Question: "What do they mean by sufficiently large vales of s" because I don't consider s = 0 a large value.

Sufficiently large means s ≥ a (or maybe s > a) for some finite number 'a'. Although 1/(s-1) exists for all s ≠ 1, it really only represents the Laplace integral for s > 1. Here, '1' is a sufficiently large number. You are right: '0' is not sufficiently large.

I think it would be better if they said s can be any value so long the integral (in the attachment) converges.

Example:

L[e^(at)](s) = ∫e-steatdt [from 0 to ∞] = e[t(a-s)]/(a-s) [from 0 to ∞] = 0 + 1/(s-a)

where the term e[R(a-s)]/(a-s) tends to 0 as R→∞ IF s>a

Ray Vickson said:
Sufficiently large means s ≥ a (or maybe s > a) for some finite number 'a'. Although 1/(s-1) exists for all s ≠ 1, it really only represents the Laplace integral for s > 1. Here, '1' is a sufficiently large number. You are right: '0' is not sufficiently large.

Sorry I noticed that the laplace didn't converge for s = 0 so I changed it to s = 2

What is the Laplace Transform Definition?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

What is the formula for the Laplace Transform?

The formula for the Laplace Transform is:
L{f(t)} = ∫0 e-st f(t) dt, where f(t) is the function of time and s is the complex frequency.

What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform has several advantages, including its ability to solve differential equations in the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze systems with complex variables. It also allows for the use of algebraic operations, such as differentiation and integration, to manipulate functions and find solutions.

What are the limitations of the Laplace Transform?

One limitation of the Laplace Transform is that it can only be applied to functions that are continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. It also requires the function to approach zero as time increases to infinity. Additionally, the inverse Laplace Transform may be difficult to calculate for some functions.

How is the Laplace Transform related to the Fourier Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a generalization of the Fourier Transform. While the Fourier Transform converts a function in the time domain to a function in the frequency domain, the Laplace Transform can handle functions with exponential growth or decay. The Fourier Transform is a special case of the Laplace Transform when the complex frequency s is equal to zero.