1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform for t^n.

1. Feb 18, 2006 #1
    Our professor asked us to derive an expression for the laplace transfrom of t^n. I did a few examples in MatLab and gathered that the Laplace Transform of t^n = n!/s^(n+1). I'm pretty sure this is correct, but I don't think my professor will be happy with it. I don't really know how I should go about proving it in a more sturdy way. I know I can integrate by parts for specific examples, but I'm not versed in integrating by parts with n's.

Any Suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I don't see how you can get away without doing integration by parts. What is the definition of the Laplace transform?

[tex]
    L \{f(t) \} = \int_{0}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-st} dt
    [/tex]
    BTW, you know that the n's are constants, right?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  4. Feb 18, 2006 #3
    Let's say if you have

[tex]x(t) \iff X(s)[/tex]

and you wish to find the Laplace transform of

[tex]t x(t)[/tex]

Differentiate with respect to s of the Laplace transform integral. That is

[tex]\frac {d}{ds} \int_{0^-}^\infty t x(t) e^{-st} dt[/tex]

You may move the derivative inside the integral and differentiate the exponential of the integrand.

Doing so you will see that [tex]t x(t) \iff - \frac {dX(s)}{s}[/tex]

Try generalizing this for [itex]t^n[/itex]. Note that for your specific problem

[tex] x(t) = t [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?