Laplace Transform for ∫0tf(t)dtA Guide to Solving Laplace Transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Laplace transform definition to show the Laplace transform of ∫0tf(t)dt, with one participant seeking help on how to proceed. Integration by parts is suggested as a method to solve the problem.
schapman22

Homework Statement

We have been given a table of laplace transforms and have been asked to show them using the definition. ∫0e-stf(t)dt.

But this one I have no clue where to begin
0tf(t)dt the laplace transform of this is F(s)/s.
Can anyone tell me what to do with this one? Thank you in advance.

Homework Equations

0e-stf(t)dt

0tf(t)dt transforms to F(s)/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I have it set up as
0[∫0tf(t)dt]e-stdt

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I know it is difficult to read with the superscripts and subscripts. I didn't know a better way of displaying it.

Yes, that's correct. Now do the integral using integration by parts
Let "u" be [itex]\int_0^t f(t)dt[/itex]. What is du?
Let "dv" be [itex]e^{-st}dt[/itex]. What is v?

Check out the first part of the fundamental theorem of calculus, and think of that integral with the upper limit as t as some function.

Ok so du would be f(t)?
and v would be -1/s e-st

schapman22 said:
Ok so du would be f(t)?
and v would be -1/s e-st

That's right!

Im sorry but I am still having trouble with one. Can you help me with how to proceed?

I have it written out as uv - ∫vdu, but I don't know how to go from there.

Try to prove the simpler but related problem using integration by parts, then you'll have some clue:
L{g'(t)}=sG(s)-g(0).
Then let g(t)=∫ _{0 to t} f(τ)dτ

thank you HallsofIvy, QuarkCharmer, and sunjin09.

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

Why is a Laplace transform useful?

A Laplace transform is useful because it simplifies the process of solving differential equations, which can be complex and time-consuming. It also allows for the analysis of systems in the frequency domain, which can provide insights that are not easily obtained in the time domain.

How do you perform a Laplace transform?

To perform a Laplace transform, you first need to have a function in the time domain. Then, you use a specific formula to convert the function to the frequency domain. This formula involves integration and can be done by hand or using a computer program.

What are the applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are commonly used to solve differential equations, analyze systems, and model physical phenomena such as electrical circuits and vibrations.

Can Laplace transforms be used for any function?

In theory, Laplace transforms can be applied to any function that meets certain criteria. However, in practice, some functions may not have a Laplace transform or may require advanced techniques to compute it. It is important to understand the limitations and assumptions of Laplace transforms when using them in applications.