Laplace transform/hilbert space

In summary, the article discusses how the Fourier series is an orthonormal basis for the Hilbert space of real-valued square-integrable smooth functions on (-\pi,\pi). This allows us to write, for any function f of that space, f(x) = \sum_{n\in \mathbb{Z}}\langle f,\exp(inx) \rangle \exp(inx). Furthermore, if a function can be written as the Laplace transform of a certain function a(t), then f(s) = \int_0^{+\infty} a(t) \exp(-st)dt is a "continuous" form of a Fourier series.
jbusc
I was just thinking back to my advanced linear algebra class and I remember the prof mumbling something about the Fourier series being an orthonormal basis for the hilbert space of square-integrable real-valued functions, lebesgue something, etc., and demonstrating the properties of the integral inner product and projections into that space. It all made sense at the time, I think. :) Sorry if I'm kinda vague, I can provide more info if needed.

I am curious, though, if something similar exists for laplace transform. It certainly looks like it fits the form, but I have been unable to find any detailed analysis of such. Anyone have insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the following may be nonsense but...

The way I interpret the article is that [itex]\{exp(inx)\}_{n\in \mathbb{Z}}[/itex] is a complete orthonormal basis for the space of real valued square integrable smooth function on [itex](-\pi,\pi)[/itex] of domain [itex](-\pi,\pi)[/itex] with inner product defined by

[tex]\langle f,g \rangle =\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(x)g(x)dx[/tex].

This allows us to write, for any function f of that space,

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n\in \mathbb{Z}}\langle f,\exp(inx) \rangle \exp(inx)[/tex]

Using the language of vector spaces, <f,exp(inx)> is the projection of the vector f in the direction of the unit vector [itex]\exp(inx)[/itex], i.e. the component of f in the direction of [itex]\exp(inx)[/itex]

More generally,

[tex]\left\{ \exp \left( in\frac{2\pi}{P}x \right) \right\} _{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/tex]

is a complete orthonomal basis for the space of real valued periodic functions of period P.

For functions that are NOT periodic, but that have the property that the integral

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(x)\exp (-in\omega)dx = F(\omega)[/tex]

converges, we can write them in a kind of "continuous" form of a Fourier series, i.e. as its Fourier transform:

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}F(\omega)\exp (inx)d\omega[/tex]Now let's make the analogy with the Laplace transform. Suppose a function [itex]f:(0,+\infty)\subset D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] can we written as the Laplace transform of some function a(t):

[tex]f(s) = \int_0^{+\infty} a(t) \exp(-st)dt[/tex]

Note that [itex]\exp(-st)=(e^{-s})^t[/itex]. Make the substitution [itex]e^{-s}=x[/itex] and the equation becomes a restriction of f to the positive real line:

[tex]f|_{\mathbb{R}^+} = f(x) = \int_0^{+\infty} a(t) x^t dt[/tex]

This is a kind of "continuous" form of a power series, right?

So to answer your question...

jbusc said:
I am curious, though, if something similar exists for laplace transform

...the analogue is the set [itex]\{x^n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex], which is a complete orthonormal basis for, say, the space of real valued function developable in a Taylor series of convergence radius R and of domain (-R,R), with the inner product defined as...

...as what exactly? Also, maybe [itex]\{x^n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] is not orthoNORMAL, but just orthogonal. What inner product would yield

[tex]\langle f,x^n \rangle = \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}[/tex]

and

[tex] \langle x^m,x^n \rangle = 0[/tex]

except for m=n

??

Last edited:
Ohh I see! I still have to process all that but just skimming it makes sense. Thanks!

quasar987 said:
...the analogue is the set [itex]\{x^n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex], which is a complete orthonormal basis for, say, the space of real valued function developable in a Taylor series of convergence radius R and of domain (-R,R), with the inner product defined as...

...as what exactly? Also, maybe [itex]\{x^n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] is not orthoNORMAL, but just orthogonal. What inner product would yield

[tex]\langle f,x^n \rangle = \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}[/tex]

and

[tex] \langle x^m,x^n \rangle = 0[/tex]

except for m=n

??

Hmm, I vaguely remember this. But isn't [itex]\{x^n\}_{n\in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] neither orthonormal nor orthogonal? You have to apply Gram-Schmidt for that to be true, right?

As for which inner product...I have to think about it for a minute...

hmm.the laplace transform? is that what I'm missing? I think I'm overthinking it...

Last edited:
At least it's a complete set, we know that much! :p

(Also, the Fourier integrals in post #3 are with 'x' in the exponential and not 'n')

Last edited:

1. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is widely used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

2. How is the Laplace Transform calculated?

The Laplace Transform is calculated by taking the integral of a given function multiplied by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex variable. This integral is typically solved using techniques of integration by parts or partial fractions, depending on the complexity of the function.

3. What are the applications of the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform has many applications in engineering and physics, including circuit analysis, control systems, signal processing, and heat transfer. It is also used in probability theory and statistics to model and analyze random processes.

4. What is a Hilbert Space?

A Hilbert Space is a mathematical concept that extends the familiar concept of a Euclidean space to an infinite dimensional space. It is a complete vector space with an inner product defined on it, allowing for the concept of distance and angles to be generalized to infinite dimensions.

5. How are Laplace Transform and Hilbert Space related?

The Laplace Transform is closely related to Hilbert Space, as it is often used to transform functions from the time domain to the frequency domain, which is a type of Hilbert Space. The Laplace Transform also has properties that are analogous to the properties of the inner product in Hilbert Space, making it a powerful tool for solving problems in this mathematical setting.