1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform issue

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(t)=e^(t+7)

2. Relevant equations
    £{f(t)}=∫e^(-st)f(t)dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i insert my f(t) into the formula, came up with ∫e^(-st+t+7)dt
    using u substitution, u=t(-s+1)+7, du=(-s+1)dt so it follows that 1/(-s+1)∫e^(u)du=e^(u)/(-s+1)
    so I plug u back in, and should be able to find my answer from there, only I come up with an answer very different from the one in the book, which is e^(7)/(s-1)
    Can anyone help me out?

So i figured it out, I set u=-1(t(-s+1)+7)=t(s-1)-7, and put e^-u inside the integral. turns out just making myself look at it a little longer worked out

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't show your work with the limits, which is where your error is. You need to either put the new u limits in your u answer or the t limits in your t answer.

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    ok, so I figured out that last one, now i'm having difficulty with £{t^(2)e^(-2t)}. putting it into the laplace definition I come up with ∫t^(2)e^(-t(s+2))dt. I've tried integration by parts, and come up with:
    u=t^2, du=2t dt, dv=e^(-t(s+2))dt

and that's where i get stuck, i can't seem to figure out this integration. i've plugged it into wolfram, but that turns out with v=te^(-t(s+2)), which, when plugged back into the integration by parts, leaves me with a more complicated equation, involving the negative of my original integral.

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4
    You can always use integration by parts again,

6. Dec 11, 2011 #5
    changed a few things around, still using integration by parts, actually integrated by parts i think three times total, if i'm remembering last night correctly, to finally end up with the right answer. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook