Laplace transform, with integral

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a definite Laplace transform where the function is defined as f(t) = sin(t) over the interval [0, π]. The suggested method is to use integration by parts, but it is noted that this may lead to a loop when alternating between sine and cosine. The solution is to move the integral to the left-hand side when returning to the sine function.
arenaninja

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve a definite Laplace transform. The function is defined as [tex]f(t) = sin(t)[/tex] over the interval [tex][0, \pi][/tex]

Homework Equations

The integrate to evaluate is:
[tex]\int_0^\pi e^{-st} sin(t) dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To evaluate, first use integration by parts (IBP).
[tex]
\begin{matrix}
u = sin(t) \quad dV = e^{-st} dt\\
du = cos(t) dt \quad V = \frac{e^{-st}}{-s}
\end{matrix}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^\pi e^{-st} sin(t) dt = \frac{sin(t) e^{-st}}{-s} + \frac{1}{s} \int_0^\pi e^{-st} cos(t) dt[/tex]
However, I'm stuck here. I can try to keep evaluating by parts, but it looks to me like I'm stuck in a loop. Integrating by parts will alternate me between sine and cosine, and the only thing that will change will be the increasing power for the "s" in the denominator.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is when you get back to the sine, move the integral to the LHS, so you end up with

[tex](\textrm{some stuff}) \int_0^\pi e^{-st}\sin t\, dt = \textrm{other stuff}[/tex]

1. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations. It converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency.

2. How is the Laplace transform calculated?

The Laplace transform is calculated by taking the integral of a function multiplied by a decaying exponential, from 0 to infinity.

3. What is the significance of the integral in the Laplace transform?

The integral in the Laplace transform represents a weighted sum of all the values of the function over time, with the weight given by the decaying exponential.

4. How is the Laplace transform used in real-world applications?

The Laplace transform is used in various fields, such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis, to solve differential equations and study the behavior of systems over time.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of using the Laplace transform?

The advantages of using the Laplace transform include its ability to simplify complex problems and provide a powerful tool for solving differential equations. However, it also has limitations, such as being limited to linear systems and only being valid for functions that have a finite number of discontinuities.