Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on tissue cell rheology that models the creep compliance of the cell in the s-domain. The paper explores early-time and late-time behavior by using a Taylor series expansion around s=0 and s=∞, respectively. The resulting expressions for the early-time and late-time behavior are derived using geometric series expansions. The conversation also mentions some difficulties in understanding the derivation.
Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm reading a paper on tissue cell rheology ("Viscoelasticity of the human red blood cell") that models the creep compliance of the cell (in the s-domain) as

[tex]J(s) = \frac{1}{As+Bs^{a+1}}[/tex]

where [itex]0\leq a\leq 1[/itex]. Since there's no closed-form inverse Laplace transform for this expression, they explore early-time ([itex]t\rightarrow 0[/itex]) and late-time ([itex]t\rightarrow \infty[/itex]) behavior by using a Taylor series expansion around [itex]s\rightarrow \infty[/itex] and [itex]s\rightarrow 0[/itex], respectively. This is said to yield

[tex]J(t)\approx \frac{t^a}{B\Gamma(a+1)}-\frac{At^{2a}}{B^2\Gamma(2a+1)}+\frac{A^2t^{3a}}{B^3\Gamma(3a+1)}[/tex]

for the early-time behavior and

[tex]J(t)\approx \frac{1}{A}-\frac{Bt^{-a}}{A^2\Gamma(1-a)}[/tex]

for the late-time behavior. However, I just can't see how these expressions arise. I know that the Laplace transform of [itex]t^a[/itex] is

[tex]L[t^a]=\frac{\Gamma(a+1)}{s^{a+1}}[/tex]

and so presumably

[tex]L\left[\frac{t^a}{\Gamma(a+1)}\right]=\frac{1}{s^{a+1}}\mathrm{,}\quad L\left[\frac{t^{-a}}{\Gamma(1-a)}\right]=\frac{1}{s^{-a+1}}[/tex]

but I can't figure out where these terms would appear in a Taylor series expansion. When I try to expand [itex]J(s)[/itex] in the manner of

[tex]f(x+\Delta x)\approx f(x) + f^\prime(x)\Delta x +\frac{1}{2}f^{\prime\prime}(x)(\Delta x)^2[/tex]

I get zero or infinity for each term. Unfortunately, Mathematica is no help in investigating an expansion around [itex]s\rightarrow\infty[/itex] or [itex]s\rightarrow 0[/itex]; it just returns the original expression. Perhaps I'm making a silly error, or perhaps the paper skipped an important enabling or simplifying step. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Both series expansions below are geometric series: [itex]\frac{1}{1-x}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}x^k\mbox{ for }|x|<1[/itex].

For [itex]\left| {\scriptstyle \frac{B}{A}}s^{a} \right| < 1,[/itex] we have

[tex]J(s) = \frac{1}{As+Bs^{a+1}} = \frac{1}{As}\cdot\frac{1}{1+{\scriptstyle \frac{B}{A}}s^{a}} = \frac{1}{As}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(-1\right)^k \left(\frac{B}{A}}\right)^k s^{ak}=\frac{1}{A}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(-1\right)^k \left(\frac{B}{A}}\right)^k s^{ak-1} [/tex]

[tex]J(s) = \frac{1}{As}-\frac{B}{A^2s^{1-a}}}+\frac{B^2}{A^3s^{1-2a}}}-\cdots[/tex]

hence

[tex]J(t) = \frac{1}{A}u(t)-\frac{Bt^{-a}}{A^2\Gamma (1-a)}}+\frac{B^2t^{-2a}}{A^3\Gamma (1-2a)}}-\cdots[/tex]​

where [itex]u(t)[/itex] is the unit step function...

And for [itex]\left| {\scriptstyle \frac{A}{B}} s^{-a} \right| < 1,[/itex] we have

[tex]J(s) = \frac{1}{As+Bs^{a+1}} = \frac{1}{Bs^{a+1}}\cdot\frac{1}{ {\scriptstyle \frac{A}{B}}s^{-a}}+1}
=\frac{1}{Bs^{a+1}}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(-1\right)^k \left(\frac{A}{B}}\right)^k s^{-ak}=\frac{1}{B}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(-1\right)^k \left(\frac{A}{B}}\right)^k s^{-ak-a-1}[/tex]

[tex]J(s) = \frac{1}{Bs^{a+1}}-\frac{A}{B^2s^{2a+1}}+\frac{A^2}{B^3s^{3a+1}}-\cdots[/tex]​

hence

[tex]J(t) = \frac{t^{a}}{B\Gamma (a+1)}-\frac{At^{2a}}{B^2\Gamma (2a+1)}+\frac{A^2t^{3a}}{B^3\Gamma (3a+1)}-\cdots[/tex]​

Thank you benorin, that makes things perfectly clear. I've only seen the geometric series expansion once or twice before in my field and wouldn't have thought to use it. It would have been nice if the paper had mentioned that they used this technique.

Thanks again!

1. What is the Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion?

The Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion is a mathematical operation that converts a function expressed as a power series into a different representation, which is the Laplace transform. It is a powerful tool used in various fields of engineering and science to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems.

2. How is the Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion calculated?

The Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion is typically calculated by first finding the Taylor series expansion of the given function. Then, the Laplace transform is applied to each term of the series using the properties of the Laplace transform. Finally, the resulting transformed series is simplified to its final form.

3. What are the applications of the Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion?

The Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion has various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can be used to solve ordinary and partial differential equations, analyze the stability of control systems, and study the behavior of dynamic systems.

4. Can the Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion be used to approximate a function?

Yes, the Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion can be used to approximate a function. By truncating the series at a finite number of terms, we can obtain a polynomial approximation of the original function. This is useful in situations where an exact solution is not necessary or feasible.

5. What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion?

The Laplace transform of a Taylor series expansion has several advantages. It simplifies the representation of a function, making it easier to manipulate and solve differential equations. It also allows us to study the behavior of systems with complex dynamics and provides a powerful tool for system analysis and control design.