Using Laplace Transforms to Solve ODE with Piecewise Forcing Function

In summary, the conversation discusses an ODE with a forcing function composed of several piecewise functions. The suggested method to solve this ODE is to rewrite it as u' + u = f(t) and use the integral definition of Laplace transforms to calculate the Laplace Transform of f(t).
nobodyuknow

Homework Statement

ODE: y'' + 4y' + 3y = f(t)
f(t) = (?? HELP - What's the mathematical term to describe these? I can't seem t o find it in my notes :cry: )
1, 0 ≤ t < 2
t², 2 ≤ t < 3
0, t ≥ 3

Write a brief description on how you would solve this ODE using Laplace transforms.

Also use the integral definition of Laplace Transforms to calculate the Laplace Transform of f(t).

Homework Equations

We know the Laplace Transform Definition is:
F(s) = ∫[itex]^{∞}_{0}[/itex]f(t)e-st

The Attempt at a Solution

After integrating the f(t)'s I get...

0 + 1/s - ((e^-2s)/s) + (((4e^-2s) - (9e^-3s))/s) + (((4e^-2s) - (6e^-3s))/s^2) + (((2e^-2s) - (2e^-3s))/s^3)

This looks completely wrong, but, I really have little idea on how to do this. I don't have tutorials for at least a couple of days so I cannot ask my tutorer about it quite yet.

All help appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For visibility:

##y''+4y'+3y=f(t),##

##f(t)=\begin{cases}1&0\le t<2\\ t^2&2\le t<3\\ 0&t\ge3\end{cases}##

Thanks for that.

The forcing function f(t) is composed of several piecewise functions.

I would say rather that f(t) is one piecewise defined function, that function having several pieces!

Could you possibly do this...
y'' + 4y' + 3y = f(t)
y'' + 3y' + y' + 3y = f(t)
d/dx [y' + 3y] + [y' + 3y] = f(t)
let u = y' + 3y
u' + u = f(t)

Would that be correct?

1. What is the Laplace Transform of an ODE?

The Laplace Transform of an ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical tool used to transform a differential equation from the time domain to the frequency domain. It allows for the solution of differential equations using algebra instead of calculus.

2. How is the Laplace Transform applied to an ODE?

The Laplace Transform is applied to an ODE by taking the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation. This results in a new equation in the frequency domain, which can then be solved using algebraic methods.

3. What is the benefit of using the Laplace Transform to solve ODEs?

The benefit of using the Laplace Transform is that it simplifies the process of solving ODEs. It allows for the use of algebraic methods instead of more complicated calculus techniques, making the solution process faster and more efficient.

4. Can the Laplace Transform be used for all types of ODEs?

Yes, the Laplace Transform can be used for all types of ODEs, including linear and non-linear equations. However, the complexity of the transform and the resulting algebraic equations may vary depending on the type of ODE.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform for ODEs?

One limitation of using the Laplace Transform for ODEs is that it can only be applied to equations with constant coefficients. It is also not suitable for solving boundary value problems. In addition, the Laplace Transform may not always provide an exact solution, as it relies on approximations and assumptions.