1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform of te^t

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(t)=te^t, find laplace

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I started doing integration by parts and after doing it three times I wasn't sure if I was going in the right direction/making any progress. I'm not supposed to use a table to solve this (I have to do the integral out) so could anyone give me a hint as to how to start?

I can manipulate the original equation to
    (0 to inf for all integrals)
    ∫ te^(t(1-s)) dt and then i set u=t, du=dt, dv=e^(t(1-s)), v=e^(t(1-s))/(1-s)
    and then I end up with a longer expression and I need to integrate by parts again. is this is right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
    It's the right direction. After all, your t-factor in the integrand goes away, so you just have to integrate e^(t*something).

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    I think I'm missing a step.

after doing interation by parts the first time, i get

te^[t(1-s)] / (1-s) - ∫ e^[t(1-s)] / (1-s) dt

=te^[t(1-s)] / (1-s) - e^[t(1-s)] / (1-s)^2

i then need to evaluate fro 1 to inf but what does that do to te^[t(1-s)], assuming s>1? t is inf and e^[t(1-s)] becomes 0?

EDIT: nevermind, I had a brainfart, I got the answer

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. Feb 8, 2012 #4
    Laplace transform generally has a region of convergence to the right of some axis parallel to the y-axis on the complex s plane, in this case this axis happens to be x=1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook