1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaPlace Transform question #1

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    1. The limit as b approaches infinity always shows up as undefined on my calc so I don't know what to put for that section of the work.

2. What pat of the work is supposed to need L'hopital's rule? The integration?

KaaqCAP.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Same type of answer as with the other one. In e^(b(9-s)), 9-s is negative. That will go to zero as b->infinity. So will b*e^(b(9-s)) and b^2*e^(b(9-s)).

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    What about the 2nd question?

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

About l'Hopitals's? You can use it to prove something like b*exp(-kb) must go to zero as b->infinity if k>0. Write it as b/e^(kb) and use l'Hopital.

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5
    How does it specifically apply in this case? What am I supposed to need it for in this problem?

7. Apr 13, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to show things like -b^2*e^(b(9-s))/(9-s) actually do go to zero when s>9 and b goes to infinity.

8. Apr 13, 2013 #7
    Ok, so it's supposed to be needed when evaluating the limits of each term correct?

9. Apr 13, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the parts you wrote '?' over. You'll want to show they actually do go to zero if s>9.

10. Apr 14, 2013 #9
    1CnPNon.jpg

Did I do the work right? I get 0 in the denominator.. what's wrong here?

11. Apr 14, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't use l'Hopital's rule on an expression unless it's indeterminate. Write it so it has the form 0/0 or infinity/infinity. Try b^2/e^b. That's infinity/infinity.

12. Apr 14, 2013 #11
    ok. So for that specific term that I tried to do, the limit looks like it would instead be infinity right? Am I allowed to do the limit of just -b^2 over s-9 by itself, along with each other term by itself, and the e^b(9-s) by itself, or do I have to expand it out and then do each term like I started to do and do the limit that way?

13. Apr 14, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not infinity. It's zero. Limit b^2/e^b is infinity/infinity. Do l'Hopital. 2b/e^b. Still infinity/infinity. Do l'Hopital once more. Now it's not infinity/infinity. What is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted