1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform question

1. Jan 7, 2007 #1
    how do i go about solving the laplace transform of sint * cost ???

i know the answer becomes 1/(s^2 + 4) but what is the method?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2007 #2
    do you know that
    [tex]\mathcal{L}\{f(t)*g(t)\} = \mathcal{L}\{f(t)\} \cdot \mathcal{L}\{g(t)\} = F(s) \cdot G(s)[/tex]

and i think the answer comes out to be [tex]\frac{s}{{\left(s^2+1\right)}^2}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  4. Jan 7, 2007 #3
    yes i did know that but i didnt think it was as simple as that. From reading the certain rules we can apply to problems e.g the shift rule to solve L(sin2t * e^3t) do we HAVE to use the shift rule or can we seperate each part and solve then multiply them together?

5. Jan 7, 2007 #4
    i am sorry. do you mean convolution by the asterisk? or do you mean multiplication? what i said in my last post is only correct if the asterisk means convolution.

6. Jan 7, 2007 #5
    i meant multiplication

7. Jan 7, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then use the definition
    [tex]\mathcal{L}(sin(x)cos(x)}= \int_0^{\infnty}e^{-st}sin(t)cos(t)dt[/tex]
    which can be done by integration by parts.

8. Jan 7, 2007 #7
    Mybe it would help to notice that sin(t)cos(t) is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{2}sin(2t)[/tex]

9. Mar 4, 2007 #8
    I wanna ask about a proof of this transform: L{(f(t)}= sF(s) - f(0) - f(a^+) - f(a^-) - exp^(-as) inwhich f(t) is continous except for an ordinary discontinuity (finite jump) at t=a, a>0

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?