1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform question

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Laplace transform of the following functions

f(t)= sine squared t

2. Relevant equations

sin kt = k^2/(s^2 + k^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I went like this;

sin squared t is sin t* sin t therefore it should be 1/(s^2 +1) (s^2 + 1) but unfortunately this was not the answer! any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the Laplace transform of a function is defined by an integral, isn't it? Could you write this integral, and try and solve it?

4. Oct 2, 2007 #3
    what do u mean?

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4
    u mean it would be the integral of e^-st multiplied by sine squared t??

6. Oct 2, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. Either that, or there may be a useful theorem you can use. I can't, however, remember whether the theorem I'm thinking of concerns the Laplace transform of products, or the product of Laplace transforms.

7. Oct 2, 2007 #6
    Hint use the trig indentity
    [tex]sin^2(x)=\frac{1-cos(2x)}{2}[/tex]
    using this u get [tex]\frac{1}{2}*({\frac{1}{s}-\frac{s}{s^2+4})[/tex]

which simplifies to the answer -> [tex]\frac{2}{s^3+4s}[/tex]

8. May 29, 2010 #7
    I think it was the theorem of the convolution operator, which is to be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution

@engineer_dave; remember L{ f.g } is not equal to L{f} . L{g} ...However the convolution operator makes it so. Read the stuff at the link. Or the quickest way (since you're an engineer, it's the one you might be interested in) as real10 mentioned;

sin^2(t) = 1/2 - cos(2t)/2
    => L{sin^2(t)} = 1/2. L{1} - 1/2. L{cos2t} (=> due to the linearity of laplace operation, easily provable)
    = 1/2 . 1/s - 1/2. 1/s^2 + 4
    = 4 / s^3 + 4s indeed..

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. Jun 2, 2010 #8
    That's what I would say Because laplace is an integration transform so that it cannot be Distributed on 1 function times other.

And I want to take ur attention dave that ur Relevant equations is wrong and the right is :

L (sin kt )= k/(s^2 + k^2) not = k^2/(s^2 + k^2)

hope u get it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?