1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform question

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Laplace Transform of e-t sin t

2. Relevant equations

f2a613fc61132e4b8f053ed85030a651.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the solution, but I am unable to figure out how the denominator becomes 1/[(s + 1)2 + 1]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The presence of the eat would case the shift from 's' to 's-a'. This is why it is called the shift theorem, it's mainly used in the inverse laplace transform.

So you know that L{sint} = 1/(s2+1)

and following shift theorem L(eatsint) = 1/[(s-a)2+1].

You can derive it too using the integral formula.

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    I am unable to derive it from the integral formula. I need to see the steps. I'm fairly certain I've been able to integrate it correctly, but I keep getting a repetitive e^-t sin t or e^-t cos t when I integrate.

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4
    So you're probably ending up with something like ∫e-t sin t dt on both sides of the equation; just move one to the other side and combine them as like terms. There's a good example of a similar problem on Wikipedia with ∫ex cos x dx:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts#Integrals_with_powers_of_x_or_ex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook