1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform Question

1. Dec 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find

$$ L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{ (p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] $$

2. Relevant equations

$$ L [ x \cos ax ] = \frac{p^2 - a^2} { (p^2 + a^2) ^2 } $$

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=725295

4. Dec 31, 2013 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

@piercebeatz -- Please check your PMs. You must always show some effort before we can offer tutorial help.

Thread is re-opened.

5. Dec 31, 2013 #4
    I'm terribly sorry for that. Here's where I got (I'm supposed to use the above identity in the problem, and convolutions is in the next chapter):

$$ L^ {-1} \left[ \frac{1}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] = L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{p^2 - a^2} \frac{p^2 - a^2}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] $$

By the theorem

$$ L^{-1} [ F(p) G(p) ] = \int_0^x f(x-t)g(t) \, dt $$

(where F(p) = L(f(t)) etc.), this becomes

$$ L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{p^2 - a^2} \frac{p^2 - a^2}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] = \int_0^x \frac{1}{a} \sinh (a (x-t)) \cos(at) \, dt $$

By the substitution t = iy, this becomes

$$ i/a \int_0^{x/i} \sinh( a( x-iy)) \cosh ay \, dy $$

$$ = i/2a \int_0^{x/i} \left[ \sinh (a (x + y - iy)) + \sinh(a( x- y - iy) ) \right] \, dy $$

$$ = i/2a \left[ \frac{\cosh( a ( x+ y - iy)) }{a(1 - i)} + \frac{ \cosh(a (x - y -iy))}{a(-1-i)} \right]_0^{x/i} $$

$$ = i/2a \left[ \frac{\cosh( -aix)}{a(1-i)} + \frac{\cosh(aix)}{a(-1-i)} \right] $$

$$ = \frac{1}{a} \cos ax \cdot \frac{i}{2} \left[ \frac{1}{a(1-i)} - \frac{1}{a(1+i)} \right] $$

$$ = \frac{1}{a} \cos ax \cdot \frac{i}{2} \left[ \frac{ a( -1 - i + 1 - i )}{-2 a^2 } \right] $$

$$ = - \frac{ \cos ax}{2a^2} $$

That's the only way I could think of doing it

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  6. Dec 31, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is the convolution theorem stated in inverse form.

Why would you break it up that way? Why not $$
    \mathcal L^{-1}\left(\frac {1}{p^2+a^2}\cdot \frac {1}{p^2+a^2}\right)$$I haven't checked the rest of your work, but, at least according to Maple, your answer isn't correct.

7. Jan 1, 2014 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Why don't you use complex integration and the theorem of residues to invert the Laplace transform?

8. Jan 1, 2014 #7
    I don't know that theorem. Does anyone see any error in the above calculation? I can't find one

9. Jan 1, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't know what theorem? Please quote the message to which you are replying.

10. Jan 1, 2014 #9

Sorry, I meant the "theorem of residues"

11. Jan 1, 2014 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You didn't take the inverse Laplace transform of the two pieces correctly. According to Mathematica, the inverse Laplace transform of ##\frac{p^2-a^2}{(p^2+a^2)^2}## is ##t \cos at##. You forgot the ##t## out front.

In any case, I suggest you take LCKurtz's suggestion for how to break up the original transform to use with the convolution theorem.

12. Jan 1, 2014 #11
    Right, I forgot the t. Putting it in and doing integration by parts yields the answer, which I have obtained on paper. Thank you all for your time.

13. Jan 2, 2014 #12

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Sometimes, it's easier to directly use the back-transformation formula
    [tex]f(t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi \mathrm{i}} \int_{C} \mathrm{d} p \exp(p t) F(p),[/tex]
    where [itex]C[/itex] is a straight line parallel to the imaginary axis in the complex [itex]p[/itex] line.

The integral can be evaluated with help of the theorem of residues very easily in this case. The image function is
    [tex]F(p)=\frac{p^2-a^2}{(p^2+a^2)^2}.[/tex]
    For simplicity let's assume that [itex]a>0[/itex]. Then the poles of [itex]F[/itex] are on the imaginary axis, [itex]p_{1,2}=\pm \mathrm{i} a[/itex]. For the real part of the integration path we can thus choose any positive value, and thus we can close this path by a semi-circle with infinite radius to the left [itex]p[/itex] plane (since in the back-transformation formula above we always tacitly assume [itex]t>0[/itex].

Thus the integral is just given by the sum over the residues of the function [itex]F(p)\exp(p t)[/itex]. Since the poles are of second order, the residues are evaluated as
    [tex]\text{res}_{\pm \mathrm{i} a}[F \exp(p t)]=\lim_{p \rightarrow \mathrm{i} a} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} p}[(p \mp \mathrm{i}a)^2 F(p) \exp(p t)] = \frac{t}{2} \exp(\pm \mathrm{i} a t).[/tex]
    Thus the original function is
    [tex]f(t)=\text{res}_{\mathrm{i} a}[F \exp(p t)] + \text{res}_{-\mathrm{i} a}[F \exp(p t)]=t \cos(a t).[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted