Can Laplace Transform Converge for Periodic Functions on [0,infty)?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that for a function f(t) that is periodic with a period T, the Laplace Transform can be written as a geometric series multiplied by the integral of f(t) over one period divided by the difference between 1 and the exponential of sT. The conversation also suggests using a change of variables to simplify the expression and reach the desired form.
amcavoy
I need to show that for f(t)=f(t+T) on [0,infty), that the Laplace Transform is:

[tex]\mathcal{L}\left[f(t)\right]=\frac{\int_0^Te^{-st}f(t)\,dt}{1-e^{-sT}}.[/tex]

The first thing I did was to write the transform as:

[tex]\mathcal{L}\left[f(t)\right]=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\int_{nT}^{\left(n+1\right)T}e^{-st}f(t)\,dt.[/tex]

Am I on the right track here? It looks like the formula given to me (that I need to show) is an infinite geometric series multiplied by the integral in the numerator. However, I am unable to get what I have into something of that form. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are practically done already. Make a good change of variables, use the periodicity of f, and you're home free.

Could you please elaborate on that a bit more? Thank you.

Sure, you want each term to give [tex] \int^T_0 e^{-st} f(t) dt [/tex] times the geometric series part, right? So why not try to make a change of variable in each term to see if you can get this out? Make the limits look right for each term and see where that leads you.

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. Why is the Laplace Transform useful?

The Laplace Transform is useful because it allows us to solve differential equations that may be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also simplifies the analysis of linear systems by converting them into algebraic equations.

3. How is the Laplace Transform calculated?

The Laplace Transform is calculated by taking the integral of a function multiplied by the exponential of a negative time variable. This integral is then evaluated from 0 to infinity.

4. What are the applications of the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform has many applications, including solving differential equations in physics and engineering, analyzing control systems, and determining the stability of systems. It is also used in signal processing and circuit analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is limited to linear systems and functions that are defined for all time. It also assumes that the function and its derivative are well-behaved, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, the inverse Laplace Transform may not exist for some functions.