How Do I Prove the Laplace Transform Formula for Functions with Finite Jumps?

In summary, the Laplace transform of sint * cost is 1/(s^2 + 4) and can be solved using the rule \mathcal{L}\{f(t)*g(t)\} = \mathcal{L}\{f(t)\} \cdot \mathcal{L}\{g(t)\} = F(s) \cdot G(s). However, this rule only applies if the asterisk represents convolution, not multiplication. To solve L(sin2t * e^3t), we can use the shift rule or separate each part and multiply the resulting transforms together. Additionally, the Laplace transform of sin(x)cos(x) can be found using integration by parts and is equal to \int_
cabellos
how do i go about solving the laplace transform of sint * cost ?

i know the answer becomes 1/(s^2 + 4) but what is the method?

thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
do you know that
[tex]\mathcal{L}\{f(t)*g(t)\} = \mathcal{L}\{f(t)\} \cdot \mathcal{L}\{g(t)\} = F(s) \cdot G(s)[/tex]

and i think the answer comes out to be [tex]\frac{s}{{\left(s^2+1\right)}^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
yes i did know that but i didnt think it was as simple as that. From reading the certain rules we can apply to problems e.g the shift rule to solve L(sin2t * e^3t) do we HAVE to use the shift rule or can we separate each part and solve then multiply them together?

i am sorry. do you mean convolution by the asterisk? or do you mean multiplication? what i said in my last post is only correct if the asterisk means convolution.

i meant multiplication

Then use the definition
[tex]\mathcal{L}(sin(x)cos(x)}= \int_0^{\infnty}e^{-st}sin(t)cos(t)dt[/tex]
which can be done by integration by parts.

Mybe it would help to notice that sin(t)cos(t) is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{2}sin(2t)[/tex]

I want to ask about a proof of this transform: L{(f(t)}= sF(s) - f(0) - f(a^+) - f(a^-) - exp^(-as) inwhich f(t) is continuous except for an ordinary discontinuity (finite jump) at t=a, a>0

Last edited:

1. What is the Laplace transform of sint * cost?

The Laplace transform of sint * cost is (s^2 + 1) / (s^2 + 2)^2.

2. How is the Laplace transform of sint * cost derived?

The Laplace transform of sint * cost is derived by using the definition of the Laplace transform and applying the trigonometric identity cos(a+b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b). This results in the integral of sint * cost being split into two separate integrals, which can then be solved using standard Laplace transform tables.

3. What is the significance of the Laplace transform of sint * cost?

The Laplace transform of sint * cost is commonly used in engineering and physics applications to model oscillatory systems. It can also be used to solve differential equations involving sine and cosine functions, making it a useful tool in solving various problems in science and engineering.

4. What are the properties of the Laplace transform of sint * cost?

The Laplace transform of sint * cost has several properties, including linearity, time-shifting, and differentiation. It also has a region of convergence, which is the range of values for which the transform is valid.

5. How is the Laplace transform of sint * cost used in real-world applications?

The Laplace transform of sint * cost is used in various real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing circuits with AC components and in mechanical engineering for modeling and analyzing oscillatory systems. It is also used in physics for solving problems involving harmonic motion and in signal processing for filtering and analyzing signals with periodic components.