Laplace Transform - (stinking partial fractions)

In summary, the speaker is struggling with setting up a partial fractions problem involving a Laplace transform. They are unable to equate the coefficients and their algebra skills are not strong. They also mention a technical issue with LaTeX. The conversation ends with a confirmation from another person that the previous answer was correct.
FrogPad
Ok... I'm working on this laplace transform, and I'm getting stuck on the partial fractions part on this one problem. If someone could help me out with setting it up, I would be very appreciative.

[tex] \frac{s}{(s^2+4)(s^2+\omega^2 ) }[/tex]

After trying to set it up, I get something like:

[tex]s=A(s^2+\omega^2)+B(s^2+4)[/tex]

I can't really equate the coefficients with a problem like this. I'm just totally frickn' lost when it comes to this part. My algebra is rather crappy :mad:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX preview not working

When I was typing out this msg, I could not preview any of the LaTeX... but after submitting the thread it displayed as beautiful as it usually does.
Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
[tex] \frac{s}{(s^2+4)(s^2+\omega^2 ) } = \frac{As + B}{s^2+4} + \frac{Cs + D}{s^2+ \omega^2}[/tex]

I think Cyclovenom's answer is correct. For a quadratic factor like [tex]s^2 + 4[/tex], you have to [tex]As + B[/tex]. If it was a linear factor, [tex]A[/tex] would suffice.

right on. cool.

thanks guys

1. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function in the time domain into a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is the Laplace Transform calculated?

The Laplace Transform is calculated using the integral of the function multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st). The integral is evaluated from 0 to infinity, where s is a complex variable.

3. What is the purpose of using partial fractions in the Laplace Transform?

Partial fractions are used in the Laplace Transform to simplify complex functions into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of the function in the frequency domain.

4. Can the Laplace Transform be used to solve any type of differential equation?

Yes, the Laplace Transform is a powerful tool that can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including both ordinary and partial differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform?

One limitation of the Laplace Transform is that it can only be applied to functions that are defined for all positive time values. It also cannot handle functions with discontinuities or singularities.