1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform to solve an ODE

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must solve the following diff. eq. ##tx''-(4t+1)x'+(4t+2)x=0## with the initial condition ##x(0)=0## and the relations ##\mathcal {L }[tx]=-\frac{d \mathcal{L}[x]}{ds}##, ##\mathcal {L} [tx']=-\frac{d [s \mathcal {L}[x]]}{ds}## and ##\mathcal{L}[x']=s \mathcal {L}[x]-x(0)##. Where x is a function of t.

2. Relevant equations
    Already given.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I've calculated ##\mathcal {L}[x''t]## which gave me ##-s^2 \frac{d \mathcal {L}[x]}{ds}-2s \mathcal {L}[x]##.
    Then I used the linearity of the Laplace transform and I applied the Laplace transform over the equation. Which eventually lead me to ##-\frac{d(\mathcal{L}[x])}{ds} \cdot s^2 + \mathcal{L}[x] (2-3s)=0##.
    This is where I was stuck when starting to write this thread. Because I'm used to obtain an algebraic expression for ##\mathcal {L}[x]##, not a differential equation. I just solved it and reached ##\mathcal{L}[x]=\frac{1}{s^3e^{\frac{2}{s}}}##. Is this the way to go? To finish, I should take the inverse Laplace transform of that.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?