1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform with abs value in exponential

1. Aug 27, 2005 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I have this problem and just need someone to check or correct:
    [tex] f(t) = -4e^{-3|t|}(u(t + 3) - u(t-1))[/tex]
    where u(t) is step function: u(t) = 1 for t >= 1 and 0 elsewhere;
    so, i guess I need to break abs value into 2 cases and have 2 different equations? anyway, here's what I have if someone would be so kind and check my work (at first I applied linearity property and distributed [tex]-4e^{-3|t|}[/tex]:
    1. for t > 0:
    [tex] L[f(t)] = \frac{-4}{s+3} + \frac{4e^{-(s+3)}}{s+3} [/tex]

2. for t < 0:
    [tex] L[f(t)] = \frac{-4}{s-3} + \frac{4e^{-(s-3)}}{s-3} [/tex]

thanks in advance!

ps: i guess one thing I should explain is that by definition of unilateral laplace transform, even though first part of signal starts at -3 we do not consider it, what we are doing is one-sided Laplace transform, so I started integrating from 0- the first part of the expression.

edit: to (hopefully) increase chances that someone looks at this here's the Lapl. trnsf. that are relevant:
    [tex] L[u(t-k)] = \frac{e^{-sk}}{s}[/tex]

[tex]L[e^{at}f(t)] = F(s-a)[/tex]
    but you probably know this anyway :shy:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean u(t)=0, for t<0 and u(t)=1 fot t>0? That's what the standard (Heavyside) step function does.

I think the easiest way would be direct integration. If you look at the expression u(t+3)-u(t-1), you notice it is 1 inside the interval [-3,1] and zero elsewhere. This makes the integral pretty easy to evaluate.

4. Aug 27, 2005 #3
    ooops, sorry about the typo, u(t) = 1 for t >= 0, you're right.
    so I would have to integrate from 0 to 1 (for the one-sided laplace trnsfm)...
    thanks!

5. Aug 27, 2005 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, and you would get the same answer you already had :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?