Laplace transform with delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the Laplace Transform of a signal, specifically f(t) = cos(pi*t + theta)*delta(t-2). After discussing the general form of the Laplace Transform integral and providing an example, it is determined that the correct answer is F(s) = cos(theta)*e^(-2s). The conversation also mentions the availability of examples of Laplace Transform in the Mathematics > Calculus & Analysis forum.
EvLer
I am sort of stuck on this one:
compute Laplace trasnform of this signal (directly by evaluating the integral)

f(t) = cos(pi*t + theta)*delta(t-2);

I know what the LT integral looks like, but I don't think I'm evaluating it right.
Would the answer be just: cos(pi*t + theta)*e^(-2s) ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Remember,

[tex]\mathcal{L}[\delta(t-c)]=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-st}\delta(t-c)dt[/tex]

[tex]\mathcal{L}[f(t)]=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-st}\,f(t)\,dt[/tex]

There are numerous examples of the Laplace Transform in the Mathematics > Calculus & Analysis forum, e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=49248 , or just search the forum for "Lapalce Transform".

There is no time variable 't' in the transform.

Since [tex]\delta (t-2)[/tex] exists only at t = 2, your f(t) is:
[tex]f(t) = cos(2\pi + \theta)*\delta (t-2) = cos(\theta)*\delta (t-2)[/tex] and
[tex]F(s) = cos(\theta)*e^{-2s}[/tex].

Agree, I should have searched at other places on these forums.
Thanks everyone for explanation.

1. What is the Laplace transform of a delta function?

The Laplace transform of a delta function is equal to 1, as long as the delta function is multiplied by an appropriate constant.

2. How is the Laplace transform used with delta functions in solving differential equations?

The Laplace transform can be used to solve differential equations involving delta functions by transforming the equation into an algebraic equation that can then be easily solved.

3. Can the Laplace transform be applied to any function that contains a delta function?

Yes, the Laplace transform can be applied to any function that contains a delta function, as long as the function satisfies certain conditions such as being piecewise continuous and of exponential order.

4. What is the inverse Laplace transform of a function with a delta function?

The inverse Laplace transform of a function with a delta function is the original function minus the value of the function at the point where the delta function is located.

5. How does the Laplace transform handle multiple delta functions in a function?

If a function contains multiple delta functions, the Laplace transform can be applied to each individual delta function separately, and then the results can be summed together to get the overall Laplace transform of the function.