Solving Differential Equation w/ Laplace Transform

In summary, The conversation discusses solving a differential equation using Laplace transform and the difficulty of inverse transforming the expression (exp(-s))/(s^2). A solution is suggested using the Residue theorem, leading to the conclusion that the function f(t) would be equal to 0 for t<1 and t/2 for t>1. The conversation also mentions the presence of a double pole at s=0 and a simple pole at s=1.
Neoon
Hi all,

Just a small question:
I came across a problem to solve a differential equation using Laplace transform.

I solved the major part but only still a part where I had to inverse transform the following experssion:

(exp(-s))/(s^2)

I looked in Laplace Transform Tables but did not find it.

Could you please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
think i got it..

you're looking for the integral..

[tex] (2\pi i)^{-1} \oint ds exp(-st-s)/s^{2} [/tex]

now using 'Residue theorem' you get...

[tex] f(t)=0 [/tex] iff t<1 and f(t)=t/2 [/tex] iff t>1.

depending on if you take the semi-circle (-T,0) or (0,T) with T--->oo , there is a double pole at s=0

Hi there,

The expression (exp(-s))/(s^2) can be solved using the Laplace transform by using the property of differentiation in the Laplace domain. This property states that if the Laplace transform of a function f(t) is F(s), then the Laplace transform of f'(t) is sF(s) - f(0). In this case, the function f(t) is exp(-s) and its derivative is -exp(-s).

So, we can rewrite the expression as follows:

(exp(-s))/(s^2) = (-exp(-s))/s * (1/s)

Using the property of differentiation, we get:

(-exp(-s))/s = L{f'(t)} = sF(s) - f(0)

Therefore, we can rewrite the expression as:

(exp(-s))/(s^2) = [sF(s) - f(0)] * (1/s) = F(s) - (f(0)/s)

Now, we can use the inverse Laplace transform to find the solution for F(s). The inverse Laplace transform of sF(s) is f'(t), so we get:

F(s) = f'(t) + (f(0)/s)

Substituting this in the previous expression, we get:

(exp(-s))/(s^2) = f'(t) + (f(0)/s) - (f(0)/(s^2))

Finally, we can take the inverse Laplace transform of both sides to get the solution for f(t):

f(t) = L{f'(t)} + L{(f(0)/s)} - L{(f(0)/(s^2))}

The first term is simply f(t), the second term is f(0), and the third term is (f(0)t). So, the final solution is:

f(t) = exp(-t) + f(0) - (f(0)t)

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Laplace Transform method used for solving differential equations?

The Laplace Transform method is a mathematical tool used to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. It involves transforming the equation from the time domain to the frequency domain, where complex numbers are used to represent the equation.

2. What types of differential equations can be solved using the Laplace Transform method?

The Laplace Transform method can be used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). It is particularly useful for solving linear, constant coefficient differential equations.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a differential equation using the Laplace Transform method?

The steps involved in solving a differential equation using the Laplace Transform method are:

• Take the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation
  • Use algebra to solve for the transformed equation
  • Take the inverse Laplace Transform to convert the solution back to the time domain

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform method to solve differential equations?

Using the Laplace Transform method can make solving differential equations easier and more efficient. It can handle a wide range of differential equations, including those with complicated initial or boundary conditions. It also allows for the use of algebraic techniques, which may be simpler for some equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform method for solving differential equations?

While the Laplace Transform method is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for solving nonlinear differential equations or those with variable coefficients. Additionally, the inverse Laplace Transform may be difficult to compute for some equations, making it challenging to obtain the solution in the time domain.