1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

s2-5 / s3+4s2+3s

2. Relevant equations

find the inverse laplace transform

3. The attempt at a solution
    for the denominator, it can be factored out to s(s+3)(s+1) or one could complete the square and thus the denominator would be s(s+2)2-1. neither of this help in finding the laplace transform

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Factor it into s(s+3)(s+1), then split into partial fractions.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    haha, thanks. just as i received your post, i actually figured it out. but thank you for taking the time to look at my problem

5. Jun 7, 2009 #4
    another problem

3s / (s+1)4

2. Relevant equations
    find the inverse laplace

i used partial fractions to split it up into A/(s+1) + B/(s+1)2 +c/(s+1)3 +D/(s+1)4

which in turn gives me A(s+1)3 + B(s+1)2 + C(s+1) + D = 3s
    i plugged in s=-1 to get D=-3, i dunno how to find A, B or C (sad i know) maybe its just a late night and my brain isnt working well because i cant seem to figure it out

6. Jun 7, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As long as you have distinct first order factors, you can put in a single value for x and immediately reduce to one coefficient. With powers or irreducible quadratics, its not so trival but still not hard.

Probably easiest: put in 3 more values for s, say s= 0, s= 1, and s= 2, to get 3 linear equations in A, B, C. They won't reduce to three separated equations but still you can solve them.

Harder: go ahead and multiply everything out: [itex]A(s^3+ 3s^2+ 3s+ 1)+ B(s^2+ 2s+ 1)+ C(s+ 1)- 3[/itex][itex]= As^3+ 3As^2+ 3As+ A+ Bs^2+ 2Bs+ B+ Cs+ C- 3= 3s[/itex].

Now combine "like terms" to get 3 equations for A, B, and C.

7. Jun 7, 2009 #6
    3s = 3(s+1) - 3

8. Jun 7, 2009 #7
    Yes, it looks like a shifting property would be the best to tackle this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook