1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform ?

1. Jul 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    t*e^(it) how do we take the laplace transform of this .

would it be 1/((s-i)^2) then how would we get the real part of that .

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2009 #2
    I'm not quite sure how the Laplace transform of a complex-valued function such as e^(it) works, but sense you want to take the real part of that is it the case that what you're really looking for the Laplace transform of is t*cos(t)? Because that isn't so hard and introducing complex numbers seems like the long way around.

4. Jul 15, 2009 #3
    then how would i take the laplace transform of t*cos(t) based on if i knew the
    lapace tranform of t and cos(t) how does this product work out.

5. Jul 15, 2009 #4
    A handy result in the theory of Laplace transforms says that:
    [tex]L\{t^nf(t)\}(s)=(-1)^n\frac{d^n}{ds^n}L\{f\}(s)[/tex]
    which we can use to compute:
    [tex]L\{t\cos{t}\}=-\frac{d}{ds}L\{\cos{t}\}[/tex]
    Now all you need to do is look up the transform for [itex]\cos{t}[/itex], differentiate and you're on your way home!

6. Jul 15, 2009 #5
    thanks , what is this rule called .

7. Jul 15, 2009 #6
    That's a good question; I'm not sure if this identity has a name or not. Perhaps someone else will know.

It's not too hard too prove. All you do is write out the Laplace transform for t^n * f(t) and use integration by parts n-times (which you could also do to get the answer with any ol' f(t), but if you remember it, the identity is pretty quick).

8. Jul 16, 2009 #7
    the only problem is my computer wont let me see the latex black boxes so i am having to look at it how you typed it in so i am having trouble reading it .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook