Laplace Transform: Finding Q(t) - Confused!

In summary, the student is trying to find the inverse of a function and is having trouble because the equation does not have roots. They are also confused because they are not sure if they should use partial fractions or Complex Numbers.
justinis123

Homework Statement

I already got Q(s)=150/(s(s^2+20s+200)), then i complete the square on the quadratic.
I got Q(s)=150/(s((s+10)^2+10^2))). But then i can't find the Q(t) because the equation (s+10)^2+10^2=0 dosent have roots. Or i have to use complex numbers ? So I am confused.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use partial fractions to get separate terms first?

To get the inverse, look at the Laplace transforms of sine and cosine.

vela said:
Did you use partial fractions to get separate terms first?

To get the inverse, look at the Laplace transforms of sine and cosine.
U mean use partial fractions on s(s^2+20s+200)? but how?

I can get 150/s * 1/((s+10)^2+10^2), but this dosent seems to fit either sin or cos

You need to use partial fractions to separate it into terms that appear in the tables.

[tex]\frac{150}{s(s^2+20s+200)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{Bs+C}{s^2+20s+200}[/tex]

Solve for A, B, and C.

vela said:
You need to use partial fractions to separate it into terms that appear in the tables.

[tex]\frac{150}{s(s^2+20s+200)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{Bs+C}{s^2+20s+200}[/tex]

Solve for A, B, and C.
thanks for reply, after i solve partial fraction what should i do?
I solved: which = 3/40s + ((-3s/40-3/2))/(s^2+20s+200)

You seem to have made some errors solving for the coefficients. You should go back and check your calculations. It looks like you have an extra factor of 10 somewhere.

After you get the coefficients, you can rearrange stuff slightly to get it into the form

[tex]\frac{150}{s(s^2+20s+200)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{B'(s+10)}{(s+10)^2+10^2} + \frac{C'}{(s+10)^2+10^2}[/tex]

Then use the Laplace transform tables to convert from the s-domain to the time domain. Note that the second and third terms look like the Laplace transforms for sin 10t and cos 10t except with s replaced by s+10. You should be able to find a property of the Laplace transform (it's probably in a table somewhere) that tells you what this means.

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

2. How do I find Q(t) using Laplace transform?

To find Q(t) using Laplace transform, you need to first take the Laplace transform of the given function. Then, use algebraic operations to isolate Q(t) on one side of the equation. Finally, take the inverse Laplace transform of the resulting equation to get the final expression for Q(t).

3. Can I use Laplace transform to solve any differential equation?

No, Laplace transform can only be used to solve linear, constant coefficient differential equations. It cannot be used to solve non-linear or time-varying differential equations.

4. What is the difference between Laplace transform and Fourier transform?

While both Laplace transform and Fourier transform are used to analyze functions in the frequency domain, there are some key differences. Laplace transform is used for functions that are defined for all positive values of time, while Fourier transform is used for functions that are defined for all time. Additionally, Laplace transform includes a damping term that allows for the analysis of transient behavior, while Fourier transform does not.

5. Are there any applications of Laplace transform in real-world problems?

Yes, Laplace transform has numerous applications in fields such as electrical engineering, control systems, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is commonly used to analyze the behavior of circuits, control systems, and mechanical systems. It is also used in the solution of differential equations in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of physical systems.