Solve Laplace Transform DE: y''+4y'+4y=delta_3(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with initial conditions using Laplace transforms. The equation is simplified and split into two parts, one of which can be solved using a formula found online and the other using a formula from the textbook. Further clarification and assistance is requested.
daxfeliz

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation:

y'' + 4y' + 4y = delta_3 (t)

y(0) = 0 and y'(0) = 1

Homework Equations

1) lapace [delta_a] = e^-as
2) laplace inverse [ 1 / (s+a)^n] = [(t^n-1) / (n-1)! ] *e^-at

The Attempt at a Solution

so I began by taking the laplace transform of both sides to get :

s^2(laplace[y]) -s*0 -1 + 4s(laplace[y]) + 4*laplace[y] = laplace[delta_3]

when further simplied, and calculated with equation 1,

(s^2 +4s + 4)*laplace[y] = 1+ e^-3s

and thus

y = laplace inverse[ (1+ e^-3s) / (s^2 +4s +4) ]

which can be separated by linearity to get

y = laplace inverse[1/(s^2 + 4s +4)] + laplace inverse [ (e^-3s) /( s^2 +4s +4) ]

I can simplify the first half by equation 2 (which honestly I'm not sure if it's true because I found it online and it's not in my textbook in any example nor have I ever seen it) so that,

y = t*e^-2t laplace inverse [ (e^-3s) /((s+2)^2) ]

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your book probably has

[tex]\mathcal{L}[t^n] = \frac{n!}{s^{n+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\mathcal{L}[e^{-at}f(t)] = F(s+a)[/tex]

Combine them and you have your equation 2.

Your book should also have an entry relating e-asF(s) to the f(t). Use that to deal with the second term.

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. What is a delta function?

A delta function, denoted by δ, is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it has an infinite value. It is often used to model impulses or concentrated forces in physics and engineering problems.

3. How do you solve a differential equation using Laplace Transforms?

To solve a differential equation using Laplace Transforms, you first take the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation. This will result in an algebraic equation in terms of the transformed function. Then, solve for the transformed function and take the inverse Laplace Transform to obtain the solution to the original differential equation.

4. Can Laplace Transforms be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, Laplace Transforms are most useful for solving linear, constant coefficient differential equations. They can also be used for some non-linear equations, but the process becomes more complicated.

5. What is the solution to the differential equation y''+4y'+4y=δ_3(t)?

The solution to this differential equation is y(t) = 1/2e^(-2t)+e^(-t). This can be obtained by taking the inverse Laplace Transform of the transformed function 1/(s+2)(s+1) which is the result of taking the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation.