Can you help me solve this differential equation using laplace transforms?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a differential equation using laplace transforms, but made a mistake. After simplifying the laplace transform, they found that the equation has the following six coefficients: -8, -6, 0, 9, -57, and 54. They plugged these coefficients into the equation to get free variables, however, when they attempted to factor the polynomials in the denominator, they were unsuccessful. After reworking the expression, they found that the X(t)=-.4cos(3t) +.5sin(3t) - .3exp(-4t) +.47exp(-2t).
MEM33

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation using laplace transforms. Assume zero intial conditions and that the forcing functions are zero prior to t=0

x''(t) + 6x'(t) +8x(t)=sin3t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the laplace transform which I found to be after simplyfing

X(s)=-8s^2-57/(s^2+3^2)(s^2+6s)

after partial fraction decompistion and comparing coeffcients I found these equations

0=a+b+c+d
-8=6a+6b+6c
0= 9c
-57=54c+9d

When I plug that into Ax=b it gives me free variables. i am not sure if my logic is wrong or I just made some mistakes along the way. Any help would be gratly appreciated.

MEM33

Physics news on Phys.org
I just made it. Try to write the two polynomials as a factor of the roots like (s-r1)(s-r2)(s-r3)(s-r4).
I also think you made the transform wrong.
Btw, if when you factor the poly in the denominator you can get the part.frac coefficients like this:
[itex] \lim\limits_{s\rightarrow r_1}\{X(s)(s-r_1)\}[/itex]
Can you see why?

Last edited:
dikmikkel said:
I just made it. Try to write the two polynomials as a factor of the roots like (s-r1)(s-r2)(s-r3)(s-r4).
I also think you made the transform wrong.
Btw, if when you factor the poly in the denominator you can get the part.frac coefficients like this:
[itex] \lim\limits_{s\rightarrow r_1}\{X(s)(s-r_1)\}[/itex]
Can you see why?
I found my mistake

Thanks!

MEM33 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation using laplace transforms. Assume zero intial conditions and that the forcing functions are zero prior to t=0

x''(t) + 6x'(t) +8x(t)=sin3t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the laplace transform which I found to be after simplyfing

X(s)=-8s^2-57/(s^2+3^2)(s^2+6s)

after partial fraction decompistion and comparing coeffcients I found these equations

0=a+b+c+d
-8=6a+6b+6c
0= 9c
-57=54c+9d

When I plug that into Ax=b it gives me free variables. i am not sure if my logic is wrong or I just made some mistakes along the way. Any help would be gratly appreciated.

MEM33

Is your expression supposed to be [tex]X(s) = -8s^2 -\frac{57}{(s^2+3^2)(s^2+6s)} \text{ or }
X(s) = \frac{-8s^2 - 57}{(s^2+3^2)(s^2+6s)}?[/tex]
Using standard rules the expression, as written, means the first one.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Is your expression supposed to be [tex]X(s) = -8s^2 -\frac{57}{(s^2+3^2)(s^2+6s)} \text{ or }
X(s) = \frac{-8s^2 - 57}{(s^2+3^2)(s^2+6s)}?[/tex]
Using standard rules the expression, as written, means the first one.

RGV
Sorry after re-working it my X(s) looks like 15/(s^2 + 3^2)(s +4)(s +2)

and my solution is X(t) = -.4cos(3t) +.5sin(3t) - .3exp(-4t) +.47exp(-2t)

Can anyone tell me if that is the correct solution?

i get (evaluated as decimal numbers):
[itex]-0.06\cos(3t)-0.003\sin(3t)+0.12e^{-2t}-0.06e^{-4t}[/itex]

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a new function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve various types of differential equations.

What is the purpose of a Laplace transform?

The purpose of a Laplace transform is to simplify the solving of differential equations, especially those involving functions with complex behavior.

How is a Laplace transform performed?

A Laplace transform is performed by integrating a function of time multiplied by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex number. The result is a new function of complex frequency.

What are the applications of Laplace transform?

Laplace transform has various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is commonly used in circuit analysis, control systems, signal processing, and heat transfer problems.

What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is the reverse operation of a Laplace transform. It transforms a function of complex frequency back into a function of time. It is denoted by the symbol L^-1.