1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform

1. Dec 2, 2012 #1
    I'm having trouble with this question. Can anyone please guide me.

My Attempt :

= 1/(s-1) * L{t^2*e^-t}
    = 1/(s-1) * (2/(s+1)^3)
    = 2/((s-1)(s+1)^3))

but that's not the answer , its 2/((s-1) s^3) somehow.
    The question is attached below.

Attached Files:

• 88.PNG
      88.PNG
      File size:
      6.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct: it really is 2/[(s-1)(s+1)^3].

4. Dec 2, 2012 #3
    But on the test it says its 2/(s^3 *(s-1)), and wolfram alpha confirms it too... The question asked to find F(2).. according to my solution i will get 2/(3^3) which is 2/27 but the answer is 1/4

5. Dec 2, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If '*' means multiplication, then your answer is correct (and Maple confirms this). If '*' means 'convolution' then you answer is wrong.

6. Dec 2, 2012 #5
    In my answer which is 2/((s-1)*(s+1)^3)) , '*' does mean multiplication, so F(2) should be 2/27 , is that correct? ... test got 1/4 however.

7. Dec 2, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with you; if F(s) means the product as given in the question you wrote, then F(2) = 2/27, NOT 1/4. Maybe you wrote the wrong question?

I can see no way to get the answer 2/[(s-1)s^3] using any familiar kinds of operations. A product does not give this, and a convolution also does not give this. You say that Wolfram Alpha gives this; well, I don't believe it. Maple does not give this, and it is essentially equivalent to Mathematica in strength and applicability, so is at least as powerful as Wolfram Alpha (which uses a subset of Mathematica routines). If you say Wolfram Alpha gets this you will need to present exactly what commands you used; perhaps you were solving a different problem without realizing it.

8. Dec 2, 2012 #7
    This is the exact question... no option of 2/27 :(

Attached Files:

• 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Dec 2, 2012 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't get what you did there.

Pull the exponential in front back inside the integral and then identify the integral as a convolution of two functions. What two functions are they?

10. Dec 2, 2012 #9
    I'm confused here... are u saying i should put e^t inside integral and do L{e*t^2}?

11. Dec 2, 2012 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, how did you get that? You do realize the integral isn't a Laplace transform, right? When you pull the exponential back in, you get
    $$f(t) = \int_0^t \tau^2 e^{t-\tau}\,d\tau.$$ You should recognize the form of that integral.

12. Dec 2, 2012 #11
    oh wow , i get it now. Thanks you so much for helping.

13. Dec 3, 2012 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You still did not answer my question: you said "Wolfram Alpha gets this too...", and I essentially said I did not believe that claim; I asked you to back it up, by supplying the actual commands you gave to Wolfram Alpha. Please do this; we have tried to help you, now you can try to help us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook