1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transformation

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    laplace transform

Could anyone should me how it is you arrive to [tex] \frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} [/tex] as being the laplace transform of [tex] t^n e^{at} [/tex] ? Or at least provide a link?
    I've done integration by parts but the term [tex]e^{(s-a)t}[/tex] will not go away.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

If n is an integer the [tex]e^{(a-s)t}[/tex] term will go away after n iterations of integration by parts and one final integration of the term itself.

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3
    So far I have [tex] \int t^n e^{(s-a)t} dt = \frac{t^n e^{(s-a)t}}{s-a} - \frac{n t^{n-1} e^{(s-a)t}}{(s-a)^{2}} + \frac{(n^2-n) t^{n-2} e^{(s-a)t}}{(s-a)^{3}} . . . . . . . [/tex]. I'm just not seeing how [tex] e^{(s-a)t} [/tex] goes away.

5. Jan 14, 2006 #4
    I think the easiest way is to do it in pieces.

prove L[ t^n ] = n!/s^(n+1).

This is easy if you know
    [tex] n! = \Gamma ( n+1 ) = \int_0^{\infty} t^n exp(-t) dt [/tex]
    otherwise an inductive proof on n is pretty straight forward.

Then i would show if L[f(t)] = F(s) then L[f(t)exp(at)] = F(s-a). Since this is just a relable-ing operation it should
    be easy to show.

6. Jan 14, 2006 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

an inductive proof

EDIT: changed the limits of integration to be from 0 to infinity (instead of -infinity to infinity).

The Laplace transform of [itex] t^n e^{at} [/itex] is

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{at} e^{-st}dt=\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{(a-s)t} = \frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} [/tex]

an inductive proof goes as follows:

i. For n=0, [tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^0 e^{(a-s)t}= \frac{1}{s - a} \left[ e^{(a-s)t} \right]_{t=0}^{\infty} = \frac{0!}{(s - a)^{0+1}} [/tex]

ii. Assume that

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{(a-s)t} = \frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} [/tex]

holds for some fixed integer n >0, then

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^{n+1} e^{(a-s)t} dt= \left[ -\frac{t^{n+1}e^{(a-s)t}}{s-a}\right]_{t=0}^{\infty} + \frac{n+1}{s-a}\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^{n} e^{(a-s)t} dt [/tex]

which, by hypothesis,

[tex]= \frac{n+1}{s-a}\frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} = \frac{(n+1)!}{(s - a)^{(n+1)+1}} [/tex]

and so

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{(a-s)t} = \frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} [/tex]

holds for every non-negative integer n by induction.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  7. Jan 14, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

Remember that you differentiate the t^n term each iteration of integration by parts, so the exponent of t should decrese by one for successive terms in the above sum, after n such terms the exponent of t will be 0 leaving only the exponential to integrate.

8. Jan 14, 2006 #7
    Nice advice, but I was instructed to derive the laplace transform from integration by parts, or else I would have used the property, If L{f(x)} = F(s), then L{(e^at)f(x)} = F(s-a).

9. Jan 14, 2006 #8
    Sorry, that was a typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?