Understanding the Laplace Transform: Derivation of n!/(s-a)^(n+1) for t^n*e^(at)

In summary: The correct form is \int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{at} dt=\frac{t^n e^{(s-a)t}}{s-a} - \frac{n t^n e^{(s-a)t}}{(s-a)^{2}} + \frac{(n^2-n) t^n e^{(s-a)t}}{(s-a)^{3}}
Tony11235
laplace transform

Could anyone should me how it is you arrive to [tex] \frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} [/tex] as being the laplace transform of [tex] t^n e^{at} [/tex] ? Or at least provide a link?
I've done integration by parts but the term [tex]e^{(s-a)t}[/tex] will not go away.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If n is an integer the [tex]e^{(a-s)t}[/tex] term will go away after n iterations of integration by parts and one final integration of the term itself.

Last edited:
So far I have [tex] \int t^n e^{(s-a)t} dt = \frac{t^n e^{(s-a)t}}{s-a} - \frac{n t^{n-1} e^{(s-a)t}}{(s-a)^{2}} + \frac{(n^2-n) t^{n-2} e^{(s-a)t}}{(s-a)^{3}} . . . . . . . [/tex]. I'm just not seeing how [tex] e^{(s-a)t} [/tex] goes away.

Last edited:
I think the easiest way is to do it in pieces.

prove L[ t^n ] = n!/s^(n+1).

This is easy if you know
[tex] n! = \Gamma ( n+1 ) = \int_0^{\infty} t^n exp(-t) dt [/tex]
otherwise an inductive proof on n is pretty straight forward.

Then i would show if L[f(t)] = F(s) then L[f(t)exp(at)] = F(s-a). Since this is just a relable-ing operation it should
be easy to show.

Last edited:
an inductive proof

EDIT: changed the limits of integration to be from 0 to infinity (instead of -infinity to infinity).

The Laplace transform of [itex] t^n e^{at} [/itex] is

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{at} e^{-st}dt=\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{(a-s)t} = \frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} [/tex]

an inductive proof goes as follows:

i. For n=0, [tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^0 e^{(a-s)t}= \frac{1}{s - a} \left[ e^{(a-s)t} \right]_{t=0}^{\infty} = \frac{0!}{(s - a)^{0+1}} [/tex]

ii. Assume that

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{(a-s)t} = \frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} [/tex]

holds for some fixed integer n >0, then

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^{n+1} e^{(a-s)t} dt= \left[ -\frac{t^{n+1}e^{(a-s)t}}{s-a}\right]_{t=0}^{\infty} + \frac{n+1}{s-a}\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^{n} e^{(a-s)t} dt [/tex]

which, by hypothesis,

[tex]= \frac{n+1}{s-a}\frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} = \frac{(n+1)!}{(s - a)^{(n+1)+1}} [/tex]

and so

[tex]\int_{t=0}^{\infty} t^n e^{(a-s)t} = \frac{n!}{(s - a)^{n+1}} [/tex]

holds for every non-negative integer n by induction.

Last edited:
Tony11235 said:
So far I have [tex] \int t^n e^{(s-a)t} dt = \frac{t^n e^{(s-a)t}}{s-a} - \frac{n t^n e^{(s-a)t}}{(s-a)^{2}} + \frac{(n^2-n) t^n e^{(s-a)t}}{(s-a)^{3}} . . . . . . . [/tex]. I'm just not seeing how [tex] e^{(s-a)t} [/tex] goes away.

Remember that you differentiate the t^n term each iteration of integration by parts, so the exponent of t should decrese by one for successive terms in the above sum, after n such terms the exponent of t will be 0 leaving only the exponential to integrate.

Nice advice, but I was instructed to derive the laplace transform from integration by parts, or else I would have used the property, If L{f(x)} = F(s), then L{(e^at)f(x)} = F(s-a).

benorin said:
Remember that you differentiate the t^n term each iteration of integration by parts, so the exponent of t should decrese by one for successive terms in the above sum, after n such terms the exponent of t will be 0 leaving only the exponential to integrate.

Sorry, that was a typo.

What is Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of frequency, making it easier to analyze and solve complex problems.

What are the applications of Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation has various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to solve differential equations in fields such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

How is Laplace transformation different from Fourier transformation?

While both Laplace and Fourier transformations are used to convert functions from time domain to frequency domain, they have different applications. Laplace transformation is used to solve differential equations, while Fourier transformation is used for signal analysis.

What are the advantages of using Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation helps in simplifying complex mathematical problems by converting them into algebraic equations that are easier to solve. It also allows for the analysis and prediction of system behavior.

Are there any limitations of Laplace transformation?

Yes, Laplace transformation is limited to linear and time-invariant systems. It may also introduce errors due to rounding and truncation of the input data. Additionally, it may be challenging to find the inverse transformation for some functions.