How do I find the Laplace transformation of f(t) with varying intervals?

In summary, the Laplace transformation of f(t) where -1 if 0<t<2, e^3t if 2<t<4, and 2t if 4<t is e^{-s}(1/s + e^{-2s}/(s-3) + e^{-4s}(1/s-3) + 2/s^2.
Karmel

Homework Statement

fing the laplace transformation of f(t) where
-1 if 0<t<2
f(t)= e^3t if 2<t<4
2t if 4<t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get to the part where f(t) = -1 + (e^3t +1)u(t-2) + (2t-e^3t)u(t-4)
then I get lost ...Any help is appreciated. Thank you all in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Karmel,

First note that the -1 you have there should be -u(t); also, a minor point, but I'll assume u(t) is the Heaviside function restricted to t>0 (since f is only defined on t>0).

Your task now is to work with the formula [tex]g(t-a)u(t-a)\mapsto e^{-as}F(s)[/tex] to take the Laplace transform of f(t). For example, we may rewrite the second term as

[tex](e^{3t} + 1)u(t-2) = (e^6e^{3(t-2)} + 1)u(t-2)[/tex],

and so by the above formula this transforms to [tex]e^{-2s}\left(e^6\frac{1}{s-3} + \frac{1}{s}\right)[/tex].

Your turn. Show us your work if you get stuck.

Last edited:
Okay so by using the examples from the book and the above example for the last part of the above problem I get and if I am right it will be luck!

(2t-e^3t)u(t-4) = (2t-(e^12)(e^3(t-4))u(t-4) which transforms into e^-4s(-e^12((1/s-3)+(2/s^2))

so assuming that this part is right. Do I leave the answer as is or do I need to multiply throughout and see if I can add anything and simplyfy it..

karmel

Almost, but you haven't completely made the factor multiplied by u(t-4) look like a function g(t-4) like in formula I gave above. We need to write it as

[tex](2t - e^{3t})u(t - 4) = (2(t - 4) + 8 - e^{12}e^{3(t - 4)})u(t - 4)[/tex].

so assuming that this part is right. Do I leave the answer as is or do I need to multiply throughout and see if I can add anything and simplyfy it..
Once you have transformed each term of f(t), then you have found the Laplace transform of f(t), as required.

Thank you so much for the help and assuming I haven't made any errors I do believe I have finally arrivied at the right answer. Once again thank you karmel

1. What is Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation is a mathematical technique used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

2. How is Laplace transformation different from Fourier transformation?

While both Laplace and Fourier transformations are used to convert functions between the time and frequency domains, they have different applications. Laplace transformation is used for functions that are defined for all positive time values, while Fourier transformation is used for functions that are defined for all time values.

3. What are the advantages of using Laplace transformation?

Laplace transformation allows for the solution of differential equations, which are difficult to solve in the time domain, to be solved more easily in the frequency domain. It also provides a way to analyze systems in the frequency domain, which can reveal important properties and behaviors that may not be apparent in the time domain.

4. What is the inverse Laplace transformation?

The inverse Laplace transformation is the process of converting a function from the frequency domain back to the time domain. This is done by using a table of known Laplace transforms or by using mathematical techniques such as partial fraction decomposition.

5. How is Laplace transformation used in practical applications?

Laplace transformation is used in a variety of fields, including electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, control systems, and signal processing. It is used to analyze systems, design controllers, and solve differential equations in these fields. It is also commonly used in image and signal processing to remove noise and enhance image quality.