• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Laplace Transformation

Homework Statement

Obtain the Laplace transformation of the fucntion defined by

f(t) = 0 t<0

= t2e-at t>=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little unsure of what I'm doing here, so bear with me.

L {t2e-at} = ∫inf0 t2e-at dt

= ∫0inf t2e-(a+s)tdt

How do I integrate this? I tried using my TI-89 but it told me it is undefined. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The complete solution is required, which I think means I can't just take it out of the Laplace tables

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Obtain the Laplace transformation of the fucntion defined by

f(t) = 0 t<0

= t2e-at t>=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little unsure of what I'm doing here, so bear with me.

L {t2e-at} = ∫inf0 t2e-at dt

= ∫0inf t2e-(a+s)tdt

How do I integrate this? I tried using my TI-89 but it told me it is undefined. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The complete solution is required, which I think means I can't just take it out of the Laplace tables
First of all: never, never write what you did above, which was
[tex] \int_0^{\infty} t^2 e^{-at} \, dt = \int_0^{\infty} t^2 e^{-(a+s)t} \, dt. [/tex]
This is only true if s= 0.

Anyway, for your final (correct) integral, change variables from t to x = (a+s)t (assuming s > -a).

I strongly recommend that you put away the TI-89 until after you have learned how to do these problems, or at least restrict its use to numerical computation.

Sorry, I missed out a part.

There should have been an e-st

But I don't understand your point about changing the variable from t to x. Could you explain further please?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Sorry, I missed out a part.

There should have been an e-st

But I don't understand your point about changing the variable from t to x. Could you explain further please?
I assume you have taken integration already. If so, you already studied change-of-variable methods (or so I hope).

If you have not done integration yet you would need a longer explanation than I am prepared to give here: we would need to go over material that takes several weeks to present in coursework! However, such information is widely available in books and on-line.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I assume you have taken integration already. If so, you already studied change-of-variable methods (or so I hope).

If you have not done integration yet you would need a longer explanation than I am prepared to give here: we would need to go over material that takes several weeks to present in coursework! However, such information is widely available in books and on-line.
Yes, it's just integration. But the trick you really need to handle the t^2 factor is integration by parts. By all means, review integration.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
It's much simpler to evaluate
[tex]\tilde{g}(s)=\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} t \exp[-(a+s) t][/tex]
and then taking the 2nd derivative wrt. [itex]s[/itex]. It's very easy to see that
[tex]\tilde{f}(x)=\tilde{g}''(s).[/tex]