1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transformation

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Obtain the Laplace transformation of the fucntion defined by

f(t) = 0 t<0

= t2e-at t>=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm a little unsure of what I'm doing here, so bear with me.

L {t2e-at} = ∫inf0 t2e-at dt

= ∫0inf t2e-(a+s)tdt

How do I integrate this? I tried using my TI-89 but it told me it is undefined. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The complete solution is required, which I think means I can't just take it out of the Laplace tables

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all: never, never write what you did above, which was
    [tex] \int_0^{\infty} t^2 e^{-at} \, dt = \int_0^{\infty} t^2 e^{-(a+s)t} \, dt. [/tex]
    This is only true if s= 0.

Anyway, for your final (correct) integral, change variables from t to x = (a+s)t (assuming s > -a).

I strongly recommend that you put away the TI-89 until after you have learned how to do these problems, or at least restrict its use to numerical computation.

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3
    Sorry, I missed out a part.

There should have been an e-st

But I don't understand your point about changing the variable from t to x. Could you explain further please?

5. Sep 4, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you have taken integration already. If so, you already studied change-of-variable methods (or so I hope).

If you have not done integration yet you would need a longer explanation than I am prepared to give here: we would need to go over material that takes several weeks to present in coursework! However, such information is widely available in books and on-line.

6. Sep 4, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's just integration. But the trick you really need to handle the t^2 factor is integration by parts. By all means, review integration.

7. Sep 5, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's much simpler to evaluate
    [tex]\tilde{g}(s)=\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} t \exp[-(a+s) t][/tex]
    and then taking the 2nd derivative wrt. [itex]s[/itex]. It's very easy to see that
    [tex]\tilde{f}(x)=\tilde{g}''(s).[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted