1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transformation

1. Jul 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have to calculated the Laplace transformation for 1/ cos(t)

2. Relevant equations
    That's all

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tryed whit some trigonometric formulas but i don't get anywhere : 1/cos(t) = cos(t) / (1- sin ^2 (t)) or 1/cos(t) = cos(t) + sin(t) x tg(t) or 1/cos(t)= (tg(t))' cos(t) ...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did you try using the definition of the Laplace Transform?
    Note that ##\frac 1 {\cos(t)} = \sec(t)##, so using the definition would entail evaluating this integral:
    $$ \int_0^\infty \sec(t)e^{-st}dt$$
    I haven't attempted doing this integration, so don't know how easy or difficult it would be. Possibly it could be done using integration by parts.

4. Jul 28, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know whether the Laplace transform of your ##f(t) = 1/ \cos(t) ## exists in any sense, either as an ordinary function or as a "generalized function". The problem is that ##f(t)## has singularities at ##t = (2n+1) \pi/2, n = 0,2,3, \ldots## because ##\cos(t)## passes through ##0## at those values of ##t##. Maybe something like an infinite sum of principal-value integrals will work, but it will not be straightforward at all!

Where did you get this problem? It looks ill-conceived to me.

5. Jul 28, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Is this even defined? Secant is undefined at odd multiples of ##\pi/2##.

6. Jul 28, 2017 #5
    Now i know that the Laplace transform dose'nt exist , there was a diferential ecuation but i solved it without this transformation , thank you

7. Jul 28, 2017 #6
    This transformation does'nt exist , i find this on other website , thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted