Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Laplace transforms of y^n

1. Mar 5, 2016 #1
    Let's say you have a function y(t). You know how derivatives of y have their own Laplace transforms? Well I was wondering if powers of y such as y^2 or y^3 have their own unique Laplace transforms as well. If so , how do you calculate them (because plugging them into the usual integral doesn't seem to work)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

4. Mar 6, 2016 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure? I don't see such a formula. Unless you are mistaking the one for ##f^{(n)}(t)## which is the n'th derivative. I have never seen a formula for ##\mathcal L f(t)^n## and I don't think there is a general one.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  5. Mar 7, 2016 #4

Ssnow

Gold Member

Yes sorry I confuse the notation, I fact there isn't and explicit formula for this ...

6. Apr 21, 2016 #5
    On that same wikipedia page, there seems to be a way to do that if we consider the Laplace transform of the multiplication of functions; we just take the function [itex] f(t) [/itex] and multiply it [itex] n [/itex] times.

7. Apr 24, 2016 #6
    Laplace transform is an efficient tool when linear operations are involves (sum, derivative, integral).
    But it is not so, and generaly very complicated, when non-linear operations are involved (multiplication, division, power). Even in the simplest cases convolution is requiered, which is generaly arduous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted