Laplace Transforms with an Undamped Spring with Unit Impulse

In summary, the equation of motion for a mass of 1.5 kg attached to an undamped spring with initial displacement of 2m and no initial velocity, subjected to a unit impulse at t = 2∏, is mx'' + kx = δ(t - 2∏), where m = 1.5 kg, k = 3 N/m, and δ(t - 2∏) represents the unit impulse at t = 2∏.
Rapier
A mass of 1.5 kg is attached to an undamped spring which causes to stretch 4.9m. This is set into motion with initial displacement of 2m and no initial velocity. The mass is subjected to unit impulse at time t = 2∏ . Find the equation of motion. Use g=9.8 m/s^2

Ok, so I start out with the basics and find k.

F=ma=kx
(1.5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = k (4.9 m)
k = 3 N/m

I also know from the problem that c=0 (no damping) and x(0) = 2m and x'(0) = 0.

ƩF = ma
ma = -cx' - kx, a = x''
mx'' + cx' + kx = 0 and since c=0
mx'' + kx = 0

Nothing out of the ordinary or unusual...but where the heck/how the heck do I include the unit impulse? From reading the textbook I have the impression that

mx'' + kx = ∂(t - 2∏)

and laplace [∂(t - 2∏)] = e^(-2∏s)

If my assumption is correct, I can do the problem.

1.5x'' + 3x = ∂(t - 2∏)
laplace (1.5x'') + laplace (3x) = laplace (∂(t - 2∏))
X(s^2) -s x(0) - x'(0) + 3X = e^(-2∏s)
X (s^2 + 3) - 2s - 0 = e^(-2∏s)
X (s^2 + 3) = 2s + e^(-2∏s)
X = [2s + e^(-2∏s)]/(s^2 + 3)
inverse laplace (X) = inverse laplace [(2s + e^(-2∏s)) / (s^2 + 3)]
x(t) = bleh.

Wolfram alpha (which instructor says is a legit method to solve this) says that my laplace is invalid, so I think somewhere I don't understand the unit impulse thing.

Pls help. kk thnx.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It looks like you are on the right track with your equations and calculations. The unit impulse, or delta function, represents an instantaneous force applied at a specific point in time. In this case, the unit impulse is applied at t = 2∏, so it would be represented as δ(t - 2∏).

To incorporate this into your equation, you would have:

mx'' + kx = δ(t - 2∏)

Then, when you take the Laplace transform, you would use the property:

L(δ(t - a)) = e^(-as)

So your final equation would be:

X (s^2 + 3) = 2s + e^(-2∏s)

And you can continue with your inverse Laplace transform to solve for x(t). I hope this helps clarify the use of the unit impulse in your equation. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. How does the Laplace transform apply to an undamped spring with unit impulse?

The Laplace transform can be used to solve the differential equation that describes the motion of an undamped spring with a unit impulse. This allows us to determine the displacement and velocity of the spring at any given time.

3. What is an undamped spring?

An undamped spring is a mechanical system that can oscillate freely without any external forces or friction acting upon it. In other words, it has no energy dissipation and will continue to oscillate indefinitely.

4. What is a unit impulse?

A unit impulse, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that has a value of zero everywhere except at one point, where it has an infinite peak. It is often used to model an instantaneous force or impulse acting on a system.

5. Why is the Laplace transform useful in studying undamped springs with unit impulse?

The Laplace transform allows us to easily solve the differential equation for the motion of an undamped spring with a unit impulse, providing a complete understanding of the system's behavior. It also allows us to analyze the response of the spring to different types of impulses, making it a powerful tool in studying various mechanical systems.