1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transforms

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    Ok, so I have uploaded/attached the question and the solution. I just need help understanding the solution please. I understand how to calculate the initial inverse transform, but I included it as the reference to the second part of the question regarding the y'' + 4y' = H(t-3)

Can someone please explain the full steps to invert the laplace transform Y to f, like the solution shows in the last step?
    I have got to the following point, but I think I may be forgetting some Laplace Transform identities needed to make my life easier?

I can split the equation into parts where I recognise a few Laplace Transforms but not sure about the rest, cheers...

Y(s) = (1/s).e-3s.[1/(s2+22)] + [s/(s2+22)] - [2/s2+22]

I recognise a few inverse laplace transforms there but without adding my confusion to the mess can someone please clarify how they got the answer? many thanks in advance.
    hopefully I didnt make this post toooo convoluted with my thoughts!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2
    U are confused because they have skipped a step.

I bet u must have recognised this part: [s/(s2+22)] - [2/s2+22]

For this part: (1/s).e-3s.[1/(s2+22)] :
    (1/(s(s²+2²)))
    =(1/4)((1/s)-(s/(s²+2²)))
    =(1/4)(H(t-3)-cos(2(t-3)))

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3

How did you get rid of the e^(-3s) ?

thanks for helping.

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4
    You are most welcome adam :)

[tex]L^{-1}(e^{-cs}F(s))=f(t-c)[/tex]
    Given :
    [tex] L^{-1}(F(s))=f(t) [/tex]

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?