Solve Laplace Transform & MacLaurin Series Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the Laplace transform of t \cdot sin(t) without using the definition, and using a table of transforms and properties instead. It also mentions finding the Mac Laurin series of a function and using it to check the Laplace transform of the function. The conversation also includes a correction of an incorrect step in the original solution and suggestions for finding the Taylor series of arctan(\frac{1}{s}). Finally, it concludes with a thank you to the person providing the information.
SqueeSpleen
I have two questions:

I had to find the Laplace transform of:
[itex]t \cdot sin(t)[/itex]
Not by definition, using a table of transforms and the properties.
I did:
[itex]sin(t) = i \cdot sinh(it) = i \cdot \frac{e^{t}}{2}-i \cdot \frac{e^{-t}}{2} [/itex]
Then
[itex]t \cdot sin(t) = it \cdot \frac{e^{t}}{2}-it \cdot \frac{e^{-t}}{2}[/itex]
And
[itex]t^{n}e^{-at}=\frac{n!}{(s+a)^{n+1}}[/itex]
So
[itex]\frac{i}{2} t^{1}e^{-it}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{(s+i)^{2}}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{s^{2}+2si-1}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{i}{2} t^{1}e^{it}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{(s-i)^{2}}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{s^{2}-2si-1}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{i}{2} \frac{s^{2}-2si-1-(s^{2}+2si-1)}{(s^2+1)^2}=\frac{2s}{(s^2+1)^2}[/itex]
I want to know other way of calculate this without using the definition, because I don't know if I'm meant to use complex numbers.

The other problem is:
[itex]f(t)=\frac{sin(t)}{t}[/itex] if [itex]t \neq 0[/itex]
[itex]f(t)=1[/itex] if [itex]t = 0[/itex]
Find the Mac Laurin serie of the function and check that [itex]L\left\{f(t)\right\}=arctan(\frac{1}{s})[/itex] s >1
I find the following serie:
[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n (\frac{1}{s})^{2n+1}\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex]
But it diverges for s>1, so it's useless to my purpose.
And I had problems trying to compute a Taylor Serie of [itex]arctan(\frac{1}{s})[/itex], I don't know what point to use.

Sorry if I made some gramatical mistakes, I don't speak English very well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SqueeSpleen said:
I have two questions:

I had to find the Laplace transform of:
[itex]t \cdot sen(t)[/itex]
Not by definition, using a table of transforms and the properties.
I did:
[itex]sen(t) = i \cdot senh(it) = i \cdot \frac{e^{t}}{2}-i \cdot \frac{e^{-t}}{2} [/itex]
Then
[itex]t \cdot sen(t) = it \cdot \frac{e^{t}}{2}-it \cdot \frac{e^{-t}}{2}[/itex]
And
[itex]t^{n}e^{-at}=\frac{n!}{(s+a)^{n+1}}[/itex]
So
[itex]\frac{i}{2} t^{1}e^{-it}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{(s+i)^{2}}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{s^{2}+2si-1}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{i}{2} t^{1}e^{it}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{(s-i)^{2}}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{s^{2}-2si-1}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{i}{2} \frac{s^{2}-2si-1-(s^{2}+2si-1)}{(s^2+1)^2}=\frac{2s}{(s^2+1)^2}[/itex]
I want to know other way of calculate this without using the definition, because I don't know if I'm meant to use complex numbers.

The other problem is:
[itex]f(t)=\frac{sen(t)}{t}[/itex] if [itex]t \neq 0[/itex]
[itex]f(t)=1[/itex] if [itex]t = 0[/itex]
Find the Mac Laurin serie of the function and check that [itex]L\left\{f(t)\right\}=arctan(\frac{1}{s})[/itex] s >1
I find the following serie:
[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n (\frac{1}{s})^{2n+1}\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex]
And I had problems trying to compute a Taylor Serie of [itex]arctan(\frac{1}{s})[/itex], I don't know what point to use.

Sorry if I made some gramatical mistakes, I don't speak English very well.

What is the function ##sen(t)##? I have never heard of it. Do you mean ##\sin(t)##? I have also never heard of ##senh(t)##, but I do know about ##\sinh(t)##. Is that what you mean?

Yes, I forget to translate them when I originally created the thread.

SqueeSpleen said:

It isn't, I don't know why I confused the divergence of t with the diverge of s, it has nothing to do with it.
So, I guess all I have to do is to find a good point to calculate the serie.
It's a good idea to calculate the McLaurin serie of arctan(x) then use it to arctan(1/x) changing x by 1/x and restricting the x values?

Last edited:
SqueeSpleen said:
It isn't, I don't know why I confused the divergence of t with the diverge of s, it has nothing to do with it.
So, I guess all I have to do is to find a good point to calculate the serie.
It's a good idea to calculate the McLaurin serie of arctan(x) then use it to arctan(1/x) changing x by 1/x and restricting the x values?

Your very first step is incorrect: you wrote
[tex]\sin(t)=i⋅\sinh(it)=i⋅\frac{e^t}{2}−i⋅\frac{e^{−t}}{2} \; \leftarrow \text{ wrong!} [/tex]
It should be
[tex] \sin(t) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( e^{it} - e^{-it} \right)
= - \frac{i}{2} e^{it} + \frac{i}{2} e^{-it}[/tex]

SqueeSpleen said:
Your table should list a property for finding the Laplace transform of t f(t) in terms of F(s), the transform of f(t).

SqueeSpleen said:
Use the fact that the derivative of arctan x is ##\frac{1}{1+x^2}##. Expand the latter as a series and then integrate it term by term.

vela said:
Use the fact that the derivative of arctan x is ##\frac{1}{1+x^2}##. Expand the latter as a series and then integrate it term by term.
Thanks.

vela said:
Your table should list a property for finding the Laplace transform of t f(t) in terms of F(s), the transform of f(t).
I guess it's it.
[itex]t^n f(t) \leftrightarrow (-1)^n F^{(n)}(s)[/itex]
It was named "derivative of a transform", so I didn't noticed it the first time because I didn't pay attention to this propertie (perhaps we didn't see it in the lectures, perhaps we saw it was the day I was sick).
Thank you again, it clarified a lot and it was a lot shorter than my previous approach xD

Last edited:

1. What is the Laplace Transform and how is it used to solve problems?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve problems involving systems that change over time. It is particularly useful in engineering and physics applications.

2. What is the MacLaurin series and how is it related to the Laplace Transform?

The MacLaurin series is a special case of the Taylor series, which is used to approximate a function using a series of polynomials. It is closely related to the Laplace Transform because the Laplace Transform can be used to find the coefficients of the MacLaurin series for a given function.

3. How do you solve problems involving the Laplace Transform and MacLaurin series?

To solve problems involving the Laplace Transform and MacLaurin series, you first need to transform the given function into its Laplace Transform form. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and known properties of the Laplace Transform to simplify the expression. Finally, you can use the MacLaurin series to approximate the solution.

4. What are some common applications of the Laplace Transform and MacLaurin series?

The Laplace Transform and MacLaurin series have many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are commonly used to solve problems involving electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and heat transfer. They are also used in signal processing and control theory.

5. What are some challenges or limitations of using the Laplace Transform and MacLaurin series to solve problems?

One challenge of using the Laplace Transform and MacLaurin series is that they can be quite complex and require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, they may not always be applicable to all types of problems and may not provide exact solutions. In some cases, they may also require a significant amount of computation time.