1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transforms

1. May 24, 2013 #1
    I have two questions:

I had to find the Laplace transform of:
    [itex]t \cdot sin(t)[/itex]
    Not by definition, using a table of transforms and the properties.
    I did:
    [itex]sin(t) = i \cdot sinh(it) = i \cdot \frac{e^{t}}{2}-i \cdot \frac{e^{-t}}{2} [/itex]
    Then
    [itex]t \cdot sin(t) = it \cdot \frac{e^{t}}{2}-it \cdot \frac{e^{-t}}{2}[/itex]
    And
    [itex]t^{n}e^{-at}=\frac{n!}{(s+a)^{n+1}}[/itex]
    So
    [itex]\frac{i}{2} t^{1}e^{-it}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{(s+i)^{2}}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{s^{2}+2si-1}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{i}{2} t^{1}e^{it}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{(s-i)^{2}}=\frac{i}{2} \frac{1}{s^{2}-2si-1}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{i}{2} \frac{s^{2}-2si-1-(s^{2}+2si-1)}{(s^2+1)^2}=\frac{2s}{(s^2+1)^2}[/itex]
    I want to know other way of calculate this without using the definition, because I don't know if I'm meant to use complex numbers.

The other problem is:
    [itex]f(t)=\frac{sin(t)}{t}[/itex] if [itex]t \neq 0[/itex]
    [itex]f(t)=1[/itex] if [itex]t = 0[/itex]
    Find the Mac Laurin serie of the function and check that [itex]L\left\{f(t)\right\}=arctan(\frac{1}{s})[/itex] s >1
    I find the following serie:
    [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n (\frac{1}{s})^{2n+1}\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex]
    But it diverges for s>1, so it's useless to my purpose.
    And I had problems trying to compute a Taylor Serie of [itex]arctan(\frac{1}{s})[/itex], I don't know what point to use.

Sorry if I made some gramatical mistakes, I don't speak English very well.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the function ##sen(t)##? I have never heard of it. Do you mean ##\sin(t)##? I have also never heard of ##senh(t)##, but I do know about ##\sinh(t)##. Is that what you mean?

4. May 24, 2013 #3
    Yes, I forget to translate them when I originally created the thread.

5. May 25, 2013 #4
    It isn't, I don't know why I confused the divergence of t with the diverge of s, it has nothing to do with it.
    So, I guess all I have to do is to find a good point to calculate the serie.
    It's a good idea to calculate the McLaurin serie of arctan(x) then use it to arctan(1/x) changing x by 1/x and restricting the x values?

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. May 25, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your very first step is incorrect: you wrote
    [tex]\sin(t)=i⋅\sinh(it)=i⋅\frac{e^t}{2}−i⋅\frac{e^{−t}}{2} \; \leftarrow \text{ wrong!} [/tex]
    It should be
    [tex] \sin(t) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( e^{it} - e^{-it} \right)
    = - \frac{i}{2} e^{it} + \frac{i}{2} e^{-it}[/tex]

7. May 26, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your table should list a property for finding the Laplace transform of t f(t) in terms of F(s), the transform of f(t).

8. May 26, 2013 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use the fact that the derivative of arctan x is ##\frac{1}{1+x^2}##. Expand the latter as a series and then integrate it term by term.

9. May 26, 2013 #8

Thanks.

I guess it's it.
    [itex]t^n f(t) \leftrightarrow (-1)^n F^{(n)}(s)[/itex]
    It was named "derivative of a transform", so I didn't noticed it the first time because I didn't pay attention to this propertie (perhaps we didn't see it in the lectures, perhaps we saw it was the day I was sick).
    Thank you again, it clarified a lot and it was a lot shorter than my previous approach xD

Last edited: May 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted