Laplace Transforms Homework: Initial Displacements & Velocities

In summary, Chet found that multiplying the sin and cos equations by 2 gives the correct initial velocities, but that the displacement is always equal to the s in front of the s3 in the original equations.
So now that I have my eigenvalues and eigenvectors. I believe I now use them for the exponential matrix and that should give me my sin and cos equations of x1 and x2 from earlier in the question. However I am unsure how I am able to reach this point as I have not fully learned this yet and am unable to find suitable sources. Does anyone know of a decent source?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with ##e^{iθ}=cosθ+isinθ##? If the eigenvalues and eigenvectors were real, would you know how to proceed next?

Chet

ive only ever used it for 2x2 matrix's, I assume this way I would receive 4 equations with 4 unknowns? I'm still a little unsure as to how those unknowns are calculated, will the 4 equations be equal to the 4 y equations that Ray Vickson listed?

also I just want to double check, if I had the eigenvalue of 'i' and the corresponding eigenvector (-i,1,-i,1)
the first term of the first y equation would be -i(acost+ibsint)
with a and b as unknowns
and so on with each value and vector

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with ##e^{iθ}=cosθ+isinθ##? If the eigenvalues and eigenvectors were real, would you know how to proceed next?

Chet
OK, so I believe I have gotten my four y equation out with 4 unknowns c1, c2, c3 and c4. What will these 4 equations equal so that I am able to determine the value of each 'c'

jake96 said:
So now that I have my eigenvalues and eigenvectors. I believe I now use them for the exponential matrix and that should give me my sin and cos equations of x1 and x2 from earlier in the question. However I am unsure how I am able to reach this point as I have not fully learned this yet and am unable to find suitable sources. Does anyone know of a decent source?

Check out the concept of "matrix function". Basically, if ##f(x) = c_0 + c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + \cdots## is an analytic function of ##x##, we can define ##f(A) = c_0 I + c_1 A + c_2 A^2 + \cdots## for an ##n \times n## matrix ##A##. Here, ##I = n \times n## unit matrix. It is a fact that for a matrix with ##n## distinct eigenvalues ##\lambda_1, \lambda_2, \ldots, \lambda_n## we can find ##n## matrices ##E_1, E_2, \ldots, E_n## such that
[tex] f(A) = E_1 f(\lambda_1) + E_2 f(\lambda_2) + \cdots + E_n f(\lambda_n) [/tex]
The crucial point is that the matrices ##E_1, E_2, \ldots, E_n## are independent of the function ##f##. That means we can find them by applying this formula successively to the functions ##f_0(x) = 1 = x^0, f_1(x) = x, f_2(x) = x^2, \ldots, f_{n-1}(x) = x^{n-1}## using the known (or computable) matrices ##I = A^0, A, A^2, \ldots, A^{n-1}##.

If you have repeated eigenvalues the formula becomes a bit more complicated.

See, eg., http://www.siam.org/books/ot104/OT104HighamChapter1.pdf or
Gantmacher, "Theory of Matrices, Vol. I", Chapter 5; now available free as http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~aar/papers/gantmacher1.pdf .

thanks for your help everyone, I've managed to get the correct answer using a 2x2 matrix made from the original equations