Laplace's Demon and determinism

In summary, the concept of a Laplace's demon is interesting, but it is not possible because of the second law of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. There is some similar theoretical construct which follows the same principles, but takes thermodynamics and quantum mechanics into account, but it is not known if this is possible or not.
ramzerimar
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this thread, but here we go.

I'm a layman in physics and mathematics, and recently, I was reading about the Laplace's Demon and how, according to classical mechanics, the future could be entirely determined if some entity (the Demon) could have complete knowledge about the position and velocity of every particle in the universe.

That caught my interest. Today, we know that Laplace's Demons isn't true because of the second law of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle). But I think that the concept of Laplace's Demon (that every single event in the future is exactly determined by just positions and velocities of particles) is very interesting, indeed. So, even if we can show that Laplace's Demon isn't possible for a bunch of reasons, I wonder if there's some similar theoretical construct which follows the same principles (but takes thermodynamics and quantum mechanics into account).

So I think my question is: could the universe be deterministic, even with entropy and Heisenberg Uncertainty, and what information should the Demon know so as to be aware of all the past and future events (wave functions? I don't know)?

Physics news on Phys.org
ramzerimar said:
could the universe be deterministic, even with entropy and Heisenberg Uncertainty, and what information should the Demon know so as to be aware of all the past and future events (wave functions? I don't know)?

Entropy comes from our inability to completely specify the state of a system, but Laplace's demon isn't subject to that limitation. So it's not a problem here.

The uncertainty principle is less fundamental a problem than the Born rule. According to quantum mechanics, no matter how much you know about the initial state of a system, you cannot calculate with certainty how it will evolve under all interactions. The best you can get is the probabilities that it will do this instead of that or the other. Thus, even though the demon knows everything, that's not good enough; there are multiple possible outcomes and the demon's knowledge isn't enough to determine which will happen.

It is possible that quantum mechanics is not the last word here. It might be that there is some deeper theory that explains quantum mechanics, including its apparent randomness, the way that statistical mechanics explains the ideal gas law. If this hypothetical theory were deterministic, then the demon could use it to make deterministic predictions as Laplace imagined.

However, no such theory is known at this time, so the possibility remains idle speculation. Interesting... But idle.

... another objection I've heard is that the demon can only know everything inside it's past light cone. I'm unclear how strong an objection that is.
There are some arguments involving "information" passing the event horizon of a black hole that remind me of this.

1. What is Laplace's Demon and what is its significance in determinism?

Laplace's Demon is a thought experiment proposed by French mathematician and philosopher Pierre-Simon Laplace in the 19th century. It is a theoretical all-knowing being that is able to predict the future with perfect accuracy based on the laws of physics and the exact positions and velocities of all particles in the universe at a given time. Its significance lies in its implication that the universe is completely deterministic, meaning that all events and outcomes are predetermined and there is no true free will.

2. Is determinism compatible with the concept of free will?

This is a highly debated topic among philosophers and scientists. Determinism suggests that all events are caused by preceding events and there is no room for randomness or free will. However, some argue that our perception of free will may be an illusion and that our actions are ultimately determined by factors beyond our control. Others argue that our actions are a combination of both deterministic and random factors. Ultimately, there is no definitive answer and it remains a philosophical and scientific mystery.

3. Can Laplace's Demon actually exist?

No, Laplace's Demon is a hypothetical being and there is no evidence to suggest that such a being could actually exist. It serves as a thought experiment to explore the concept of determinism and its implications.

4. What are some criticisms of Laplace's Demon and determinism?

One major criticism is the concept of quantum mechanics, which suggests that particles at the subatomic level behave in a probabilistic manner, making it impossible to predict their exact positions and velocities. Another criticism is the idea that even if all physical events are predetermined, human consciousness and decision-making may not be bound by the same deterministic laws.

5. How does Laplace's Demon and determinism relate to the nature vs. nurture debate?

Some argue that determinism suggests that our actions and behaviors are solely determined by external factors and we have no control over them. This view supports the idea of nurture, or the influence of our environment and experiences on our development. However, others argue that determinism does not necessarily negate the role of nature, or genetic and biological factors, in shaping our behavior and choices.