1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace's equation & Fourier series - I can use cos or sin?

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a question related to finding the velocity field of an incompressible fluid in a square pipe with sides at y = ±(a/2) and x = ± (a/2).

It comes down to solving a homogenous equation which is also Laplace's equation

[itex] \frac {δ^2 w(x,y)^H}{δ x^2} + \frac {δ^2 w(x,y)^H}{δy^2} = 0 [/itex]

using separation of variables, and combining this with the particular solution (which is only a function of y!) and using the boundary conditions;

w(a/2,y) = w(-a/2, y) = 0
    w(x, a/2) = w(x, -a/2) = 0

And

[itex] w(x,y) = w(y)^P + w(x,y)^H = w(y)^P + X(x)Y(y)[/itex]

representing the homogenous and particular solutions.

I let Y(y) be the trigonemtric function (this is mandatory) from Laplace's equation, and the boundary conditions impose that Y(a/2) = Y(-a/2) = 0.

[itex] Y(y) = Csin(Kx) + Dcos(Kx) [/itex]

Where C, D, K are constants (K arises from the constant used in Laplace's equation).

This implies.

[itex] Csin(Ka/2) + Dcos(Ka/2) = 0 [/itex]
    [itex] -Csin(Ka/2) + Dcos(Ka/2) = 0 [/itex]

My issue is that K can be resolved to having two values, either;

[itex] K = \frac{(2m+1)\pi}{a} [/itex]

m runs from 0 to infinity

or

[itex] K = \frac{2m\pi}{a} [/itex]

m runs from 1 to infinity.

And in the first case, C = 0. In the second case D = 0.

My confusion is the simple question: Which is the right one? I go on to add to w(x,y) a linear superposition of solutions to Laplace's equation which uses the value of K throughout, however does this produce the same answer? How can I know?

If I follow through with C = 0 or D = 0, then I get two very different answers for each - and I can't tell if they're the same or not. (The mathematics is long and complicated that I would rather not post it here).

However, if I were to change my co-ordinate system (by shifting the y-axis down by a/2), the boundary conditions become w(x,0) = w(x,a). This is exactly the same situation, except that I find that D = 0 is a mandatory requirement, and that

[itex] K = \frac {n\pi}{a} [/itex]

So I get a definite solution. This is caused by changing the co-ordinate system, so surely either of the ways above (D = 0, or C = 0) produce the same answer?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?