1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace's equation

1. Sep 8, 2005 #1
    Heat equation

Given the 3-D rectangular solid with sides of length a, b and c in the x, y and z directions, respectively. Find the function T(x,y,z,t) when
    Laplace(T)=1/K(dT/dt) subject to the following conditions:

1) Initial conditions: T(x,y,z,0)=0
    2) Boundary conditions
    a. dT/dx + h(1)T = 0 for x=0
    b. T = 0 for x=a
    c. dT/dy = 0 for y=0
    d. dT/dy = 0 for y=b
    e. dT/dz = 0 for z=0
    f. dT/dz + h(2)T = 0 for z=c

Anyone plese suggest me, I don't understand. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? What have you tried? I don't see any reason why T(x,y,z,t) identically equal to 0 isn't the solution. It satisfies all the conditions, doesn't it?

4. Sep 8, 2005 #3

sic

HallsofIvy: it is, but it's the trivial one.. it's a linear equation, the solution can be multiplied by a constant, and knowing that 0 is a good solution doesn't give you anything..
    danai_pa:
    try the following steps:
    1) solve the boundary. you'll see that on the three of the faces of the cube , T is zero and on all the rest, its derivative is zero
    2) write T as
    sum C(n,m,l) sin(pi n x/a) cos(pi m y/b) cos(pi (l+1/2) z/c)
    it is a general way to write the function taking care of the constraints automatically
    3) now, just calculate the time dependence of C(n,m,l) by applying laplacian to the general notation (pay attention that the functions of the series are orthogonal)

5. Sep 8, 2005 #4
    please help

I can solve this equation for y only and x , z. I can't find it. Please describe to me. Thank you.

6. Sep 9, 2005 #5
    please help

Anyone please help me. I can not solve it.
    Thank you

7. Sep 9, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Clearly the "existance and uniqueness" theorem applies to this. T(x,y,z,t) identically equal to 0 may be trivial but it's the only one you're going to get!

8. Sep 9, 2005 #7

sic

Actually i didn't pay attention to the condition T(x,y,z,0)=0, which really makes the problem trivial (T=0 always), but if it's so, the boundary conditions have absolutely no meaning.. are you sure there's no typo?

9. Sep 9, 2005 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

10. Sep 11, 2005 #9
    I can solve variable of x and y but variable z i can not solve it.
    Anyone please suggest me. Thank you

11. Sep 11, 2005 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Read back through this. You have already been told the solution several times!

It really doesn't matter whether the variables are x, y, z, or anything else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?