1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplacian calculation

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the scalar field φ=x2+y2-z2-1. Let H be the scalar field defined by
    H = -0.5∇.(∇φ/ abs(∇φ)), where abs(∇φ) is the magnitude of ∇φ. Which makes that some sort of unit quantity. When H is evaluated for φ=0 it is the mean curvature of the level surface φ=0.
    Calculate H. Write your answer as a function of z only.
    Hint: Work in Cartesian coordinates x, y, z throughout the whole of part (c) and make sure that that you work out all of the derivatives before imposing the constraint Φ = 0. You will find it useful to use the abbreviation r = √(x2+y2+z2. I didn't use any of this, so I'm doing it wrong!
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got (∇φ/ abs(∇φ)) to be 1/√3 x i + 1/√3 y j +1/√3 z k where i, j and k are unit vectors. From this, ∇.(∇φ/ abs(∇φ))=1/√3. This is clearly wrong, wolfram alpha disagrees, I didn't use r, I don't know how to impose the constraint and I think it's something pretty fundamental that I'm missing! I have looked at examples online but they really haven't helped at all!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2015 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

You have made some serious mistake in calculating ##\nabla\phi/|\nabla\phi|## cause the result you give doesnt have magnitude 1. From what i can see, it is something like ## \frac{x}{r} i+ \frac{y}{r} j- \frac{z}{r} k##.

To impose the constraint use that ##\phi=0\rightarrow x^2+y^2=z^2+1## to eliminate x and y in the expression you ll calculate for H.

4. Apr 28, 2015 #3
    Perfect person for the question, love the name :D I think I seriously misunderstood our lecture, because I thought ∇φ was obtained by ∂φ/∂x i + ∂φ/dy j + ∂φ/dz k? Which would make ∇φ = 2x i + 2y j -2z k. Actually, maybe my magnitude was wrong! Should it be 2√(x2+y2+z2)?

5. Apr 28, 2015 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

yes that should be the correct magnitude. and yes i love that you love my name, it is inspired by the laplacian operator :D.

6. Apr 28, 2015 #5
    I got to an answer! Can't believe I didn't see that mistake, the magnitude was clearly meant to be 1. Thank you! :) Vector calculus, not one of my strengths!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted