What is the Laplacian of the scalar potential with an extra term?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Laplacian of a scalar potential due to a continuous charge distribution. The expression for the potential includes an operand of the Laplacian, which is 1/|r-r'|. To deal with the resulting singularity, an extra term, a^2, is added. The Laplacian of this expression is given by 3a^2/((r-r')^2+a^2)^5/2. However, there is some confusion about the use of spherical coordinates and the variables of integration and differentiation. The Laplacian can be evaluated in any coordinate system, and the variable r is not necessarily the same as the distance between the field point and source point.
_Andreas
On page 35 of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, he calculates the Laplacian of a scalar potential due to a continuous charge distribution. In the expression for the potential, the operand of the Laplacian is

[tex]\frac{1}{|r-r'|},[/tex]

where r is the the point where the potential is to be evaluated and r' the location of the source.

Homework Statement

Jackson says that, "Because it turns out that the resulting
integrand is singular, we invoke a limiting procedure." He thus adds an extra term, a^2, in the following way:

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2+a^2}}[/tex]

Now, what is the Laplacian of this expression? According to Jackson, it's

[tex]\frac{3a^2}{((r-r')^2+a^2)^{\frac{5}{2}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my own calculations, the Laplacian (the second derivative) of the above function with respect to |r-r'| is

[tex]\frac{2|r-r'|-a^2}{((r-r')^2+a^2)^{\frac{5}{2}}}.[/tex]

I've checked this result with the help of wolframalpha, and it's correct. Am I using the wrong variable for differentiation, or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Careful: the Laplacian in spherical coordinates is not simply the sum of second derivatives. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_operator" , up to a sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
henry_m said:
Hi,
Careful: the Laplacian in spherical coordinates is not simply the sum of second derivatives. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_operator" , up to a sign.

Ah, yes, of course he's using spherical coordinates! *facepalm*

Thanks, henry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, there are some things I still don't understand here. Isn't the term r in the Laplacian given in spherical coordinates the same as the term r showing up in the expression for the infinitesimal volume element when you go from cartesian to spherical coordinates? And isn't that term r the distance from the origin to the volume element, rather than the distance between the field point and source point?

_Andreas said:
Actually, there are some things I still don't understand here. Isn't the term r in the Laplacian given in spherical coordinates the same as the term r showing up in the expression for the infinitesimal volume element when you go from cartesian to spherical coordinates? And isn't that term r the distance from the origin to the volume element, rather than the distance between the field point and source point?

Yes. r and r' are not intended to be spherical coordinate r values. Put r=(x,y,z) and r'=(x',y',z') and evaluate the laplacian in the usual way.

Dick said:
Yes. r and r' are not intended to be spherical coordinate r values. Put r=(x,y,z) and r'=(x',y',z') and evaluate the laplacian in the usual way.

I don't quite see what you mean. Should I not use the Laplacian expressed in spherical coordinates after all? Could you elaborate?

_Andreas said:
I don't quite see what you mean. Should I not use the Laplacian expressed in spherical coordinates after all? Could you elaborate?

I'm saying that you can use any coordinates you like. Put one point at the origin. Now your spherical expression is 1/sqrt(r^2+a^2). You could also write it as 1/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2+a^2) in cartesian coordinates.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I'm saying that you can use any coordinates you like. Put one point at the origin. Now your spherical expression is 1/sqrt(r^2+a^2). You could also write it as 1/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2+a^2) in cartesian coordinates.

Ok, I think I finally get it. I've been mixing up the variable of integration and the variable of differentiation completely*. Thanks.

*"With respect to |r-r'|", as I wrote in the OP, is wrong. The differentiation is with respect to r.

Last edited:

What is Laplacian of scalar potential?

The Laplacian of scalar potential is a mathematical operator used in vector calculus to describe the rate of change of a scalar field in a three-dimensional space. It is a measure of the curvature or second derivative of the scalar potential.

How is Laplacian of scalar potential calculated?

The Laplacian of scalar potential is calculated by taking the sum of the second derivatives of the scalar potential with respect to each coordinate in a three-dimensional space. In other words, it is the sum of the partial derivatives squared.

What is the physical significance of Laplacian of scalar potential?

The Laplacian of scalar potential is used to study the behavior of scalar fields in physics, specifically in fields such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics. It helps to describe the rate of change and curvature of these fields, which can have implications for the behavior of physical systems.

How is Laplacian of scalar potential used in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, the Laplacian of scalar potential is used to describe the electric potential or voltage in a given space. It helps to determine the distribution of electric charges and the resulting electric fields in a system.

What are some applications of Laplacian of scalar potential?

The Laplacian of scalar potential has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to study fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, heat transfer, and other physical phenomena. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing to smooth out images and create visual effects.