Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laptop decision

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    Hey everyone I didn't know where to put this but it is a pretty important question that I thought someone could help me with. I have been shopping for laptops lately for electrical engineering. Im just curious if a number pad should be a very big priority? I don't know how much I will have to type numbers with my laptop or whether I will be using the computers in the lab more? If anyone has some experience with this and could let me know what they think that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2
    No, a number pad shouldn't be a big priority. Numbers are typically on a keyboard near the top row...

4. Aug 6, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For typing numbers, it's no big deal. If you are such a poor typist you can't hit the numbers of the top row accurately, learn to type properly - it will save you WAY more time for the rest of your life than it takes to learn.

You can always buy a separate number pad if you really need one. There are also apps so you can use a smartphone as computer number pad.

5. Aug 6, 2011 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I touch-type, and I very seldom use the number pad.

6. Aug 6, 2011 #5
    Ok thanks. I guess the reason I was asking is because I never learned how to use the numbers across the top very well compared to the number pad. Im just trying to decide between and acer and hp. The acer has a number pad but the hp has a sleeker design.

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6
  8. Sep 7, 2011 #7
    Most 15in and below size laptops exclude the number pad. 17in and above usually have the full normal layout with the number pad

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook