Troubleshooting a Dead Laptop: Common Issues & Solutions

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary: I was able to recover most of his data using a live CD, but he lost all of his emails, bookmarks, and other personal settings. It is always best to try to diagnose and repair before reinstalling. Also, it is important to have backups of important data in case of situations like this.
Andre
:frown:

So I returned to my laptop (Compaq Pressario A900) after a coffee break this morning and found it to be off. I was quite sure I did not shut it down,:grumpy: Anyway, I attempted to restart it. After some initial startup noises it shut down again. :bugeye:

So hit start again toggling F8 safe mode, which informed me that it could not start windows. But there were several options, register restore - no luck, memory check - no errors, disk check no errors, So went thruogh all of them, getting error messages (adress error for a file) at the moment windows should run.

In the end there was only one option left: reinstall windows (do you want to save data first? yes? install external memory unit! Inserted memory stick, enter. Nothing detected install external memory, other port, same effect, no data storage :grumpy: and lost the data etc.

So it was reinstalling day, and worse yesterday I cleared all the SD cards with dozens of pictures, now lost :frown:

Fortunately my main system, still somewhere in a moving box, contains the main data, but anyway.

So what happened? and is this common and what should I have done differently?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I wish you would have posted it up here before reinstalling in case we might have been able to help.

By what your describing I'm having a little trouble understanding what the problem could have been. One of those things where i'd have to play with the system to see how far you can get before encountering a problem. How stable is the AC power in your house? Does it ever surge at all?

From the sound of it, something screwy happened with a critical Windows file(s), but it's a little odd that the system was powered off when you found it. Usually it will restart and idle while showing you options or just plain halt and idle when the error happens. On rare occasions you'll get the infinite restart loop. Fist thing I would have done is put in the Windows CD and run the disk check utility, then perform a Windows repair by again booting from the Windows CD and running the Recovery Module.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks B.Elliot.

There is no windows CD. I had made a recovery DVD but it's dislocated due to movings. Trying to get online and discuss things, unfortunately, was most impractical without the laptop.

So I had to cope with the recovery partition on the hard disk which seemed to be working fine.

The AC power was not a factor, the power LED's were on and the battery was fully charged all the time. Yet, it had shut down and it shut down again on normal attempts before activating Vista.

So I thought I had to make a trade off between losing files or keeping offline, fighting, while obviously, the system had exhausted all its options.

Oh Andre, so sad!

It was not a happy day Evo

You shouldn't have reinstalled right away, you could have used a Linux live CD to try to diagnose and repair the problem. The same thing happened to my dad with his laptop, and he made the same mistake.

Last edited:

1. What are the most common reasons for a dead laptop?

The most common reasons for a dead laptop are a drained battery, power supply issues, hardware failures, and software problems.

2. How can I tell if my laptop is completely dead or just not turning on?

If your laptop is completely dead, it will not respond to any power or display any lights or sounds. If it is not turning on, it may show some signs of life, such as lights or fans turning on, but it will not boot up.

3. How can I troubleshoot a dead laptop?

First, try plugging in your laptop to a different power outlet or using a different power cable. If that doesn't work, try removing and reinserting the battery. You can also try holding down the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power. If these steps don't work, it may be a hardware or software issue that requires professional help.

4. What should I do if my laptop suddenly dies while I'm using it?

If your laptop suddenly dies while you are using it, it could be due to overheating. Check to see if the laptop is hot to the touch and make sure the fans are running properly. It could also be a sign of a failing battery or power supply. If the issue persists, it is best to consult a professional.

5. Can I fix a dead laptop myself or do I need to take it to a professional?

It depends on the cause of the issue. If it is a simple problem like a drained battery or power supply issue, you may be able to fix it yourself. However, if it is a hardware or software issue, it is best to take it to a professional to avoid causing further damage.