1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Laptop for Research

1. Aug 15, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I am starting at a CDT (Integrated MSc, and PhD) next month in Fluid Dynamics, a large part of my work will include running simulations and writing code.

I am in need of a new laptop, I am going to dual boot windows and fedora scientific.
    Between the student discount and mobility of the model, I am looking at the Lenovo Thinkpad E460.

If anyone has any experience or thoughts please reply!

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Coo - I was about to suggest anything that supports as much software freedom as possible but you have that covered :)
    Lenovo have a decent track record for this - apart from that, see what others in your field, at your institution, are using.
    Also check with the local LUG.

4. Aug 17, 2016 #3
    I assume that you will be running "serious" simulations on some computing clusters and just using your laptop to remotely log into the system. In that case, it really doesn't matter what kind of computer you have, as long as you like it.

You can use free software on any hardware, so that isn't a factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted